Saturday, May 21, 2011

A New Name for Worthless: A Hero is Born

Product Details
by Rocky Shepheard

This is a beautifully written and illustrated book for children of all ages. It is an important book to not only be read, but to be shared.

Based on a real dog, Worthless is an older dog who has spent many seasons chained to a doghouse. It is bad enough that the doghouse is inadequate shelter in winter, but there is no shade in summer either.

Worthless has found himself chained outside simply because as a puppy he did not prove himself as a watchdog. With no human friends, he finally is befriended by a couple of forest animals.

One stormy night they help Worthless escape from his chain. While on the run and struggling to survive, Worthless finds himself in a desperate situation.  It is now that he is able to finally prove his worth. The grateful human he saves gives him a new home, and a new name!

This story will make you cry, first out of sadness and finally with joy. Both written and illustrated by vegan Rocky Shepheard, it is done in cooperation with Dogs Deserve Better. DDB is a national organization dedicated to freeing dogs from chains and placing them into loving home, where they belong.

I love animals, all animals. Not one is worthless. I have had the honour of sharing my life with animals of all kinds, including several rescued dogs. Each one had a place in our home and will always have a special place in our heart.

4 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO glad you brought this book to my attention. It's the perfect gift for little ones, and I intend to buy several copies. DDB is a wonderful organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the kind of children's books that I love to review. They are important. I am very impressed with DDB, and support their mission wholeheartedly. Thanks, Beth. I knew you would like this one! I thought of our little rescues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi McGuffy Ann! I'm a new follower via my feature on Cheryl's blog :). I really admire your work with animal rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rebecca. It is truly a labour of love.

    ReplyDelete