Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gifts

It is said that the greatest gifts in life are faith, hope and love. I believe this. These are at the heart of many other gifts.

Faith is the anchor. It grounds us, holding us in place, allowing us to weather any storm. Faith gives us strength to continue, to survive. It helps us to believe in ourselves, and to find our place in the world.

Hope is a beacon, an eternal light that shines through any darkness. Hope carries us when we think we cannot go on. Hope finds a way, leading us through whatever we may encounter.

Love is the ultimate gift. Love gives its best, full of both faith and hope. Without love, nothing else makes sense.

7 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful post and I don't disagree. Though, for me, it's been a struggle to find meaning and purpose to life since I lost "faith" in the universe and most definitely in Love.

    You can survive* without faith, and you can survive* without love, but I don't know that you can live without hope, even a tiny kernel buried somewhere in the psyche.

    *Note that I wrote "survive." I wouldn't say you can "thrive" without at least love. "Faith" is another matter and a word I have a bit of a problem with, given its myriad religious connotations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kea, thank you so very much for commenting. I have really been holding back on my musing "aloud". (I write poetry and journal endlessly!)
    Yes, faith can have religious meaning for some, but it has meaning in one way or another for each of us, I believe. That is part of our journey, I think, to find each of these three gifts in our own lives, in our own way.
    I would love to sit and muse with you! Thank you for your comments. I truly appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you on this post. I have been blessed in my life with an abundance of all of these things---I do not take it lightly and realize that I may be in the minority. It was refreshing to read your post today. Thanks!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a beautiful post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a thought-provoking and deep post. I totally agree that although each of these things -- Faith, Hope and Love -- will mean different things for each of us, we are all on a journey to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this!! I want to print this off and tape it to my bathroom mirror, so that everyday I live my life with these at the forefront of my mind. How could you go wrong then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post and one I agree with completely. To love someone is the most generous gift of all.

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete