Friday, September 9, 2011

Velva Jean Learns to Fly

Product Details

By Jennifer Niven


We first met her in Velva Jean Learns to Drive, where she was searching for her dream. Now Velva Jean is back in a second novel, pursuing her dreams.

It is 1941, and Velva Jean has made it to Nashville. She is struggling to make her way in the music industry. Her heart and soul remain grounded in the mountains of North Carolina, but her dream is still to sing at The Grand Ol' Opry.

To the shock of the world, Japan attacks Pearl Harbor and suddenly everything is changed. Velva Jean sadly watches as men she knows go off to war. Before reporting for military duty, her brother finds her in Nashville.

Determined to learn to fly, he takes Velva Jean with him to lessons. This opens up a whole new world to Velva Jean. She loves the feeling of flying, but even more she loves the challenge of it. She decides to learn to fly.

Velva Jean continues to delight and surprise. From the mountains to the city to the wild blue yonder, the sky is the limit for her! Through Velva Jean we see the beginning of Women Airforce Service Pilots (Wasps) in World War II.

I wonder what Velva Jean, and Jennifer Niven, will do next. I think they are capable of almost anything they put their mind to!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story!!! Thanks so much for the review - I'll have to go look through our local library and see if it's on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it, I did too!

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great story. I enjoy books that take place during the 40s- so I will have to find this book and read it.

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens sometimes and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this. So fun to get a taste of history and be entertained along the way :0)

    ReplyDelete