Sunday, February 19, 2012
The Games We Play
This week I was tagged (yes, again)...twice...so this is my attempt to catch up.I was tagged with the same game, by different bloggers with different questions and a slight variation in rules. I have taken the liberty to combine the tags.
Thank you Brenda Youngerman of Fiction with a Purpose, and Angie of Angels are Kids and Furkids.
Here are the rules:
1. You must post the rules.
2. List eleven things about yourself.
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, and then create eleven new questions to ask the people that you have tagged.
4. Tag eleven people and link to them on your post.
5. Let them know you've tagged them!
Eleven Things about Myself:
1.I have no depth perception.
2. I am afraid of spiders.
3. Bill & I lived in and traveled in an old van as newlyweds. We did this for several months, traveling 13 states. My old dog, Velvet, was our fearless companion.
4. I have a weakness for chocolate chip/mint ice cream.
5. I do not drink alcohol. I am a big milk drinker, though!
6. A prized possession of mine is my great-grandparents original wedding portrait. It is in the original frame, with the original glass, 24" x 27". They were married August 5, 1891.
7. I am very sensitive.
8. The only sports I follow are football & NASCAR.
9. I was going to be a storm tracker in the Navy, before finding out my health was not good.
10. I am extremely practical and simple (but not simple minded).
11.I have never been outside the (mainland) United States.
Questions for Me: by Brenda:
1. Wine or beer? Neither; make mine coffee, tea or water.
2. Hot or cold? Cold!
3. Black or white? I am definitely grey .
4. Spring or fall? Fall. I find it to be a very reflective time; and the cool weather is such a relief after summer's heat. The colours, football, NASCAR Chase, all make it exciting.
5. AC or windows? Windows whenever possible! If it is hot, AC whenever possible. I have asthma.
6. Heater or fire? Fire; I like the natural things when possible.
7. Carpet or hardwood? Hardwood! It is natural, and easier with pet hair! Just sayin'.
8. Roses or Tulips? I like both, but probably roses a little more. But I like Mums and Angel Wing Begonias even more.
9. Dog or cat? Seriously, Brenda? BOTH!! I don't talk about Polly, my old Coydog much, because it is hard to. She is almost 17, and I am afraid of jinxing her. When we lost Wiley & then Maisie, two months apart, two years ago, it was devastating. They were 16. I am very protective of Polly, and afraid of losing her...don't go there...
10. Curtains or shades? Curtains are more open, inviting, free.
11. Shoes or barefoot? Barefoot...well actually, socks. I am really a socks person: thick, comfy socks. My feet & ankles being so messed up, shoes kill me. I just don't get you "shoe people"! I'm not judging (Hilary, *LOL*)...if it's your thing, go for it!
Questions for Me: by Angie:
1. Do you have a favourite book? If so, which one? Books are my favourite! I have many, many favorites. One longtime favourite is "The Prophet", by Kahlil Gibran. I first read it when I was 15. I have 3 copies of it, and it is on my Kobo (don't laugh; I want a colour Nook...any donations will be happily accepted *lol*).
2. Where do you think your love of reading stems from? Or how did you come to love reading? I remember learning to read! My first official word to read aloud, in school, was "look". I was exhilarated! I felt there was power in reading! I could do it anywhere. It satisfied my curiosity and my craving for knowledge, at the same time. There was no stopping me!
3. When you have "down time" what do you enjoy doing the most? I savour every moment spent with my husband. I always have. Anything with him is the best, be it watching TV (especially football & NASCAR), fishing, talking, whatever...it's my favourite time. We were platonic friends for years before he convinced me it should be more...but that's another story.
4. Would you ever own a black vehicle? No; nor would I own a white one. Too hard to keep clean, never looks right to me. One exception: Dale Earnhardt's #3 Goodwrench Chevy.
5. What is your favourite animal? Why? I dearly love all critters. Yes, all. I do have a special fondness for Sandhill Crane. Bill even brought me some Sandhill Crane items from China, when he went there on business trips years ago. I adore them. However, there is an animal that I feel a spiritual connection to: the Coyote. I believe it is misunderstood. I also have a deep respect and admiration for it, for its ability to survive alongside of & in spite of man.
6. Do you have an author whose work you read, no matter what? Yes, because they are always great! Some are: the insightful Brenda Youngerman (a review this week!), awesome Lesley Kagen, talented Sandra Kring, sensible Sherri Wood Emmons, creative Sarah Addison Allen, & the entertaining Bob Tarte all come to mind. But there are also some that I eagerly anticipate more books from, having written one book so far: beautiful soul Beth Hoffman, amazing Amy Greene, perceptive Lori Roy, sensitive Anna Jean Mayhew, significant Michelle Hoover, and genuine Gin Phillips all come to mind. There are more; I just can't name them all!!
7. If you could be a superhero, which one? I have no idea. I'm not into fantasy or sci-fi or that kind of thing. If I had a super power, I would choose to be able to fly. I have such a problem with my joints and walking, etc., that to be able to fly would be such a freeing experience. Wow.
8. If you could have any house, money being no object, what would you build or buy? It would be a log cabin, with a big wrap-around porch, on Lake Superior, in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
9. What state have you always wanted to visit? Alaska! I would love to see their wild frontier, go whale-watching, experience their natural unspoiled beauty.
10. What's your favourite movie? I am not a big movie watcher. I like Christmas movies (A Christmas Story, Elf, A Gift of Love, etc.) and old movies (The Caine Mutiny, Angels with Dirty Faces, Dark Victory), and animated movies (Up, Muppets, Monsters, Inc.), to give some examples. I look forward to the upcoming movie The Lorax! It's my favourite Suess story! (I have an active, though secret, inner child. Shhh!)
11. What is your ritual when you settle in to read? All chores must be done. All critters must be cared for. No distractions! I like to be comfy, with a soft blanket or throw. Then I usually climb into my big recliner...followed by a cat or two.
My Questions for Those I Tag:
1. What is your favourite childhood story?
2. What was your first vehicle?
3. What or who was the first concert you attended?
4. How old were you when you had your first kiss?
5. Do you have any tattoos? If so, what?
6. If you don't have tattoos, do you want any? If so, what?
7. What time do you usually get up?
8. What is your bedtime routine?
9. What is your "irrational" fear?
10. If you could go anywhere, to where would it be?
11. What is your favourite snack?
TAG! You're It!
2. coming home to myself
3.A Soul Unsung...
5.Deserts and Beyond
6.Form The Sol
7. Marti's Musings
8. P.S. Annie!
9. Silver's Reviews
10.Show My Face
11.♥ Books, Crafts & Pretty Things Blog
12. Tilly Bud /The Laughing Housewife
13.The True Book Addict
14.Welcome to Just Cats In-home Cat Care
15.New Prairie Woman