Monday, March 12, 2012

She Kept Coming Back

Oddibe came first. He watched me from across the road, as he sat beneath the row of cedar trees. Our eyes met; we bonded. It didn't matter that I already had two indoor cats and two dogs. I became Oddibe's human.




He was already an old tomcat, and obviously not neutered. I called him "Oddibe", because he "ought to be" somewhere else. He would come to my window at night, sitting on the porch rail, and tap on my window screen. He knew I would then get up and go outside to feed him. Our midnight rendezvous began right after we bought our rural lakefront house, though the neighbor's had never seen him before.


Soon Oddibe brought his girlfriend with him. She was a petite little thing, and very young. Quite feral, she trusted only Oddibe. However, for food she came to my house with Oddibe. She was "Echo", because she kept coming back.




By Spring, Oddibe and Echo had a little grey kitten. She would blend into the shadows of the cedar trees, so she was "Shade". Echo would bring her shrews and tried to teach her to hunt. By now she trusted me, so she taught Shade to come eat from the bowls, too. 




Oddibe would go off on his tomcat business, but would still come to my window. He also watched over his family. Elusive, existing in the shadows for the most part, they lived this way for a couple of years. Survival was their mindset; I was a safe haven.


There came a time when Oddibe was missing. The girls came alone for a couple of weeks.  When Oddibe finally appeared on my porch, he was emaciated and weak. I quickly got him into a crate, which was never a possibility before. I knew it was serious, when I took him to the vet that Saturday night. 


Oddibe had cancer. At his advanced age, "probably close to 20 years", surgery was not a realistic option. He would not survive even the anesthesia. I cried all of the way home, and throughout the funeral we held for him. I missed him, and so did Eco and Shade. They would sit under the cedar trees and seemed to be waiting. They looked somehow lost and lonely, their little faces questioning me.


For years, they came together, alone, and sometimes with kittens. We rescued many, finding homes, keeping some, but some would just disappear. After a couple of years, Shade disappeared, too.




Echo would stay away when in heat or when she had kittens hidden. We were never able to trap her. Her sense of survival and dedication to her family was acute. Tomcats came and went, none like Oddibe. Some were haggard, mean, very wild and feral. 


When Echo was about 12, she went missing for about a week. I knew she did not have kittens and became very worried. Then one morning quite early, there she was. She was very happy to see me and I her! As I gave her food and water, I noticed her rear left leg hung at an odd angle. It seemed to be very loose and I knew something was very wrong.

I scooped her into a crate, which I had never been able to do before. This time she actually went along with the idea. We went right to the vet, where Echo was overwhelmed by the entire experience. An exam and x-rays showed that there was nothing but bone chips between Echo's hip and foot. Her foot was intact, and her hip was fractured; the entire leg was shattered by a hollow point bullet. 

 Hollow Point bullet* (source: Wikipedia)
 
*Note mushrooming effect of explosion & impact


Hollow point bullets are used by law enforcement and military. Their purpose is to kill in a drastic, surefire manner. A hollow point bullet increases its size once it enters its target, and it remains there. It expands inside and does not pass through, creating extensive damage. This usually results in blood loss and/or shock, and thus death. Echo was a six pound cat.


I had a choice to make. Echo had to be put to sleep or have her leg amputated. She had lived outside her entire life, free, doing whatever she wanted to do, wherever she wanted to do it. I saw her living the life of a wild thing, and happy to be that way.


If Echo's leg was removed, she would become our indoor cat. She hated other cats. We would have to make her a home in the secure basement, and under supervision. Could she be happy this way? Could we put her down, let her go because of someone else's cruelty, after loving her and being trusted by her for 12+ years?? 


There was no choice. She had the surgery, and came home to live out her last five golden years inside the warm house. Echo had her favourite pillow and blanket, on her sofa in the basement. She flew up and down the basement stairs. She had immaculate litter manners. She appreciated it all.


We promised her she would be safe and secure for the rest of her life. We never looked at her any differently, though we were amazed that she made the transition so easily. Love is blind when you see with your heart. She was the same little, petite, sweet, gentle Echo that she had always been.


When Echo passed over the Rainbow Bridge, she was well over 17 years old. She developed cancer, but went quickly and without pain. We were left with the pain of her loss. She had had a long, very full life. Echo's golden years were safe and secure; we kept our promise to her.


And she echoes in our hearts still.










27 comments:

  1. You did it again ... I am crying and I wish I had known Echo ... though I think I somehow know her through your words. Your story telling is wonderful,endearing and real. You are a Writter for sure and someday the rest of the world will get a chance to share in your talent.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I mean that.

      Delete
  2. And, I forgot Oddibe, the adorable Tom Cat and Shade I love them too ... you are making me sad and proud at the some time. How do you do that???

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt their story needed to be told. I have a lot of stories...all true. I hope to honour their little lives.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story! Oddibe, Echo and the others were fortunate to have you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love them. They taught me much.

      Delete
  4. First of all, let me just say that I am in tears after reading this. What an absolutely touching story. You are a true animal lover, Ann. I think God sends animals like this to you because he knows you will treat them well and keep them safe. I feel very lucky to know you. =O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to say...I really want people to see these little lives matter. I feel touched by your words.
      I feel very blessed by these little souls that come into my life to teach me about what matters.

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Patty. I really appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! As one who has also had outdoor kittys come and go and share pieces of their lives with us, this story tugged at my heart. How lucky little Echo was to have such a gentle, loving end to her hard life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me share her & her family. ~xo~

      Delete
  7. This is such a beautiful post and tribute...What a way for me to start my morning, at4:30AM, in tears.

    Bless you for caring for them all, especially Echo, all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a glorious wonderful tribute to amazing Echo, Oddibe and Shade and all their kitties! I'm just glad you were there as their safe haven. I curse the people who shot poor Echo. I hope their lives are as destroyed as her amputated leg. Big Booooo to them! :-(

    I know Echo, Oddibe, Shade are now reunited at the Bridge! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story of love and compassion and devotion. Our animals are so much a part of our lives and you certainly provided some wonderful times for those sweet kitties. We had a kitty that started visiting us for awhile---I named her Rosemary because she was always in my herbs. She appeared on my deck and when I opened the door she ran right in and jumped on the counters ---i fed her and she was ravenous and I continued to give her food when she came around. We had to leave for a week and I left a good supply of food on the deck but when we came back she was nowhere around. She was one of the nicest cats ever and I always hoped she found another nice home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echo was the matriarch of a long line of "strays" that we cared for. She was very special, and only trusted us. I hope to share more stories in the future.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for a beautiful post, and for loving Oddibe, Echo and Shade so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It takes a lot to make me tearful but you managed it.

    So glad you were there for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bless you, bless you, bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. sooo... when are you writing the book with all of these beautiful stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honoured for you to say this to me. Thank you. Maybe I should. I do want to share them, and have several. Thank you.

      Delete
  14. Aww, what a sadly sweet story. I agree with Brenda - you should make these into an eBook. You write beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. now i even love those animals!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear McGuffyAnn,
    This story of Oddibe and Echo and Shade touched me deeply. I had tears in my eyes as I read of Oddibe's death from cancer and Echo's shattered leg. But oh, the joy to know that she adjusted to becoming an indoor cat and lived many more years.

    What a true friend you are to animals. A blessing in their lives as they are in yours.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sad, and yet so beautiful in the love you showed these animals. Love wins out in the end. I've been able to scoop up injured feral cats before too, they somehow seem to sense their own desperate state and that you will help them. These cats lived long, good lives, and that was due in large part to you. What a heart-warming tale, and you told it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry for you loss of Oddibe and of Echo. How wonderful thought that they had you in their lives.

    Years ago, I started feeding stray cats, a practice I sadly had to stop this year because we have a neighbor who allows his dog to run up on our porch and eat the cat food. Out of those feedings, however, I ended up with a stray cat who has now lived indoors with my husband and I for several years.

    I've enjoyed browsing your posts about critters. Back in my earliest teaching days, I used to write tales about my pets to share with my students. I might need to do that again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice story! I like Oddibe's name. I'm glad you were able to take care of him, Echo, shade and all of her other kittens.
    : )

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your time & thoughts. Please leave your email address, or link it to your profile, so I can respond to you directly. Thank you!