Saturday, February 4, 2017

Breather


Loved by everyone, Emma had lived in the nursing home for many years. However, the ravages of emphysema now kept her confined to her room. Every day, the nurses put her through difficult, but necessary breathing treatments.

Happy when it was over, Emma would carefully climb back into her bed. She would say with a weary smile, “I need a breather from those treatments!”

Story*: McGuffy Ann Morris


*This is dedicated to my real-life friend, "Emma". She was 79 years old and quite ill with emphysema when I met her. I was nineteen years old, working in a Catholic nursing home. She and I became very close in the short time I was honoured by her friendship.



Shared with:
Writing Challenge:
Five lines using the word prompt
"breather"

&

Sharing art in all of its forms!

13 comments:

  1. I love this, Annie. Especially that it is dedicated to your real-life friend in that nursing home. It speaks to the beauty of friendships that bridge generations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like quite a wonderful lady. It's a boon to both people when the years between are ignored and friendship blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I think I need a breather, well this add a new meaning to the phrase I need a breather. We sometime take breathing for granted because we can breath easily. Thanks for sharing this short story with us. It makes us more aware of those who have breathing problems. My husband has breathing problems.

    Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that two generations came together in friendship and that you honor your friend with the sharing of memories. Sweet story of courage and endurance. Thanks for sharing with In Other Words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a sweet story and Emma certainly made a positive impression on you. I'm always in awe of seriously ill people who don't let themselves become unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet of you to remember your friend. Everyone we meet has something to teach us. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet way to remember your friend and honoring your friendship. Thank you for sharing, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! The image that the mind is still razor sharp and witty -- thought the body might be weak. What a wonderful way to remember someone -- because that is their true essence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie, I bet this was a terrific relationship. And I can tell that it brings back special memories for you. I also can see that you can relate to how "Emma" was feeling. Sending lots of prayers, love and hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your great memory.

    ReplyDelete