Sunday, August 14, 2011

Suitcase Full of Dreams

Suitcase Full of Dreams


By Hoy Kersh




This is a beautifully written book of growing up in 1940s-1950s Alabama. Hoy grows up poor, but her memoir is full of a child’s fun and dreams. She manages to also write about the troubled ways of the adults in her life with sensitivity.

As an African American child in the South, Hoy relates her own personal journey toward the civil rights movement. She learns about her heritage while learning both her present and future place in history.

This is a beautiful and sensitive memoir.


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing this book to my attention. I don't recall hearing about it before, but I'll definitely add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thanks for your great comments, and for following our blog. It's always nice meeting fellow animal advocates (and book fans)! :)

    I'm following you back, and am looking forward to following your adventures.

    Have a great day,

    meowmeowmans
    Animal Shelter Volunteer Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again,

    I just read your note, in which you inquire about the Rainbow Bridge Furry Friends Paw Heart. I was actually surprised to see we didn't attribute that badge to anyone, since it's not something we created. :(

    I tried to trace its origin, and *think* it came from Goodness Gracie and her humans. I seem to remember that particular badge was given to any and all who wanted it, but it was quite some time back. Here's the link to Gracie's blog, in case you want to ask them for permission: http://gabbygracie.blogspot.com/

    Good luck!

    meowmeowmans :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Following back! Thanks for stopping by!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete