Sunday, November 13, 2011

What Moves Me


The Prompt:
What Moves You?


Every Thursday, Brenda of Fiction with a Purpose poses a topic to ponder. Inevitably, it becomes a challenge for me and my writing. Sometimes I ponder it so long that I end up not blogging about it! Brenda has really become a wonderful friend, an inspiration, and she moves me to actually share my thoughts. So...after reading her post, I thought. This is ultimately what I came up with to share.

Nature moves me. The seasons, the sky, the sun and the moon, the stars...lakes, waterfalls, trees...wildlife, animals. My personal connection with animals has been a deep one, an integral part of my life and who I am. From working with animals professionally to rescue work, I have learned much about and from animals. Animals are true to themselves and each other. Animals are genuine and honest in their feelings and in their actions. I am moved by this.

 I am moved by the many homeless and abandoned animals. I am moved by the orphaned ones who die because humans don't care, because humans are irresponsible. I am moved by the will to survive that animals exhibit, in spite of man's inhumanity.

Last year, a woman took in a young, ill, stray cat. On Thanksgiving, the cat had kittens. She was too ill to care for her kittens. I took in the litter of four kittens. They were also very ill.  For weeks I bottle-fed them every two hours. I kept humidifiers going so they could breathe. But they made it; all four kittens survived. Their will to survive moved me to help them. They wanted to live; they deserved to live.

Grizelda & Chloe Jo will be a year old this Thanksgiving. They were from that litter. (Their siblings, Moon & Willow, were adopted together into another home.) They move me.

The Litter at three weeks

Grizelda & Chloe Jo at 11 months

10 comments:

  1. I was so moved by this post. I grew up spending the majority of my time at my grandparents farm - constantly surrounded by all kinds of animals. cows, horses, pigs, chickens, dogs, cats... to the snapping turtles in the creek. Farmers tend to take very good care of their livestoc because, well, it's the lives that depend on them really. So I've always had a very high respect and car for animals. I wanted to be a vet when I was a little girl, but I get so upset when I see an animal hurt :(
    everytime I visit your blog, my kids want to know if they can have one or your cats. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Universal blessings to you for taking in the kittens--I'm so happy they survived and have such a wonderful forever home.

    Yes, Nature moves me--it's the only thing that grounds me and lifts me up at the same time. There's nothing quite like standing in the presence of an Elder Tree and feeling its power. It's through that connection to the land and the sky that I understand, on a level beyond thought and emotion, that All Beings are One.

    Other things move me too, like some music, choral music especially, even though I don't believe in a personal deity.

    And the suffering of so many Beings moves me...I don't think I had a lot of compassion for humans when I was younger, and it's been through my own struggles with clinical depression that I've come to understand that we all are fighting our private demons, in one way or another. And I've come to be moved by some people's ability to keep crawling forward, in spite of terrible tragedy. It humbles me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!

    Nature, animals, birds, ancient trees ... all living things move me too. They make me happy and smooth the rough edges of life like nothing else.

    Have a wonderful and blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! I love Grizelda and Chloe! They are beautiful and you are beautiful for rescuing them !!! What a sweet story. And a great blogging prompt! I am pondering what moves me....there are a lot of things. Like seeing people who have no one to care for them. The sad state that our earth is in. The list can go on and on and you gave me a lot to ponder today. Thanks for the great post! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I love Grizelda and Chloe! They are beautiful and you are beautiful for rescuing them !!! What a sweet story. And a great blogging prompt! I am pondering what moves me....there are a lot of things. Like seeing people who have no one to care for them. The sad state that our earth is in. The list can go on and on and you gave me a lot to ponder today. Thanks for the great post! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a moving post. Thank you for taking in those babies. We just love that Grizelda and Chloe are so well loved in their forever home. With you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First please excuse me tardiness in this comment.... I have been crying for days.
    YOU move me!
    Your friendship moves me.
    This post moves me.
    Your unrelenting ability to constantly amaze me moves me!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you for having a heart for the animals. I am moved most, too, by the natural world and by animals, and am constantly frustrated and saddened by how horribly humans impact their survival. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete