Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Orphan Sister

The Orphan Sister


By Gwendolen Gross


The Orphan Sister tells the story of a set of triplet sisters. Two sisters, Odette and Olivia, are identical. The third sister, Clementine, knows she is “different”.

As they grow, the identical sisters continue seemingly identical lives, careers, styles, even childbearing. Yet there is an underlying feeling of loneliness.

The third (“orphan”) sister, Clementine, learns to embrace her status as “single sister”. She develops her own life and identity, yet maintains her connection to her sisters.

The sisters struggle through family problems, yet learn there is a special strength that they have as triplets. Though their father creates problems through his absence, and is distant when he is there, the mother also has issues of detachment. This further cements the girls’ connections to each other.

Through Clementine, we learn there are twists and turns and surprises that reveal secrets and explanations, as well. The writing is well done and the storyline is unique and intriguing.

Gwendolen Gross draws you in and makes you want to understand these fascinating sisters.

5 comments:

  1. This is intriguing, and calls to mind that there is often one child in a family who feels they don't belong. I can remember my little sister (by three years) deciding she was adopted when she was in the early elementary grades, and nearly driving my mom nuts with wanting to know who her "real" parents were. We still laugh about that now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the catalogues came out for upcoming books during BBAW, I remember being very interested in this book. I put it on my wishlist and moved on. I'm so glad you reviewed it and I saw your review. You reminded me about this book and it sounds even better through your review!

    Thank you for piquing my interest in this story about triplet sisters - being a twin, I've always been fascinated by multiples!

    Love all your beautiful cats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one and need to read it soon!!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, well done, thank you for sharing, xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually met a family that had this same circumstance - triplets, but two were identical twins. The twins were the same size, looked alike; the third sister was taller, thinner, and looked about 2 years older. I'm sure she felt "different", and will hear for the rest of her life how people can't believe that she's part of the "triplets"! Sounds like another good read!

    ReplyDelete