Friday, May 11, 2012

Friendship Friday: May 11, 2012


The topic we are challenged with this week is 
"a childhood memory". This is a challenge for me.

The things that made me happiest as a child were
being outside with nature, reading, and critters...
I guess some things never change.

When I was ten years old we moved four times.
The fourth move was to Texas, 
where I insisted I would only go if I could
get a dog (and then a cat).
A month after we got settled in, 
we went to the Humane Society. 
I was told that I could pick out any dog. 
I looked from cage to kennel, 
from room to "run".
Then I saw her: a little solid black puppy, 
just three months old.
With all of the barking, crying, noise,
she just sat silently, watching me,
while sitting in a giant empty dog bowl.
"That's her. That's the one."
I was positive; no one could change
my mind. She was mine;
my very first dog.
She was a cocker/beagle mix, 
with all black, soft, short wavy fur.
I named her Velvet. 
She was sweet, gentle, smart,
and went everywhere with me, 
for 15 1/2 years.
She added joy to my childhood,
and beyond.  


9 comments:

  1. Awww beautiful Velvet! Thanks for sharing such a fabulous memory of a special friend! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a wonderful theme for your Friday post! I totally enjoyed this...it brought back a few memories for me as well! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't dogs the very sweetest of companions? Thanks for sharing your story.

    Aloha,
    Following ya from the Friday Hop. We're riding the wave of life at localsugarhawaii.com and I'd love it if you'd join us for the adventure.

    xoxo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs are the absolute best!

    My childhood dog was named Scraps - a stray that looked like movie dog, Benji. She was lost or abandoned in one of our big snowstorms. We put a leash on her and took her around the neighborhood to see if she led us to her home, but she just took us back to our house.

    Sometimes, I swear our dogs pick us.

    Im stopping by from Friendship Friday.

    Have a great weekend!

    Yona from Yona Writes
    http://artpark78.com/blog1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you shared this true friendship story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tale (tail?)of a friend to keep a little girl company in a new place! I can almost envision the two of you together, years of friendship and devotion, shared secrets, tears and laughter. A wonderful memory. How special and unique is each beloved animal we've been privileged to share a part of our life with. My vision of heaven would be having them all near again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet and beautiful memory of Velvet. Thank you for sharing that with us, McGuffyAnn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was lovely; thank you for sharing. But no photo? :(

    ReplyDelete