Monday, May 21, 2012

My Celebration Inspiration





With my birthday looming, 
I want to share 
my favourite poem.
While I do not celebrate 
my birthday, 
I do celebrate getting older.
I celebrate surviving.
A wise friend
reminded me of 
this connection.
I love her for that
& many things.
I celebrate our
friendship 
& her, too.
Perhaps she will join me
when I do these things...
I hope so.
~Hugs~

                          Warning
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go,
and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy
and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money
for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement
when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops
and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety
of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and
grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and
beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes
that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear
in the street
And set a good example
for the children.
We must have friends to dinner
and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked
and surprised
When suddenly I am old,
and start to wear purple.

~Jenny Joseph~

19 comments:

  1. Dear McGuffy Ann, I look so good in purple! It suits me.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Maybe we can all form a march!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh Annie! This has been one of my favorite poems for a long time now, and I'm already hitting the stage of my life when I do more and more things with abandon, not really giving a hoot what anyone else says... when you're older you can get away with it! Purple is my favorite color, and I had to laugh about wearing terrible shirts and growing more fat... that had better not be a reference to our beloved tie-dyed t-shirts! LOL I join hands with you in celebrating survival and celebrating life! And dang it, light up those candles girl, it'll bring a bunch of cute firemen to your house! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about you, Josie! ;-)
      Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I, too, celebrate survival every year. It made me no longer afraid of sharing how old I was, and as the American Cancer Society says, I now have "more birthdays!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I'm getting there already except for wearing purple with red hats. JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to let loose!

      Delete
  6. Great poem... and Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this poem, too! The only thing I wonder is....did this start the whole "Red Hat Society"? Because I do not LIKE the RHS, I will not be a PART of RHS, and I do not LIKE GREEN EGGS AND HAM!!! My friends in AZ all wanted me to join and I refused. I do NOT want to prance around in a red hat. I said, "Why don't we just go out and have fun? Why do we have to wear a stupid hat?"

    Hope you have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem came first. I'm with you...I will do it my way! You are funny, Pat!

      Delete
  8. I like Josie's idea. I will be there for your candle burning ceremony with my camera ... Love those cute firemen. You are the coyote of the human race. Survive this, survive that ... it never ends with you. You should celebrate your inner strength because that is why you survive ... no one can mess with who you are and that is something to be proud of:)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. It reminds me of Joe Cocker's hit:
    "You Can Leave Your Hat On".
    You'd look good in a red hat, just a red hat.
    So go buy one for your birthday. I'll be home in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to seeing you in your new red hat.
    Love you. Your Gypsy Husband

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess we will be going shopping this weekend, right? Let see, do you think there are any Red Hats at Julie's? I can hear Bill purring from here :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete