Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Being Lara


Being Lara: A Novel

By Lola Jaye

Lara is eight years old when she discovers that she is adopted. She has always felt out of place, however. She always struggled with issues of somehow being different, looking different, and is used to holding herself in check.

Upon her 30th birthday, she finally meets her birth mother, and feels an immediate connection. Though she fights this feeling, she feels herself drawn in by her biological mother. Lara is forced to reconcile her life as an adopted child.

As we see Lara come to terms with who she is, we also see her come to understand both of the important women in her life, her mothers. As she learns about her past and her mothers, she learns she must allow herself to open up, in order to find understanding, peace, embrace who she is and who she is to become.

This emotional and interesting novel looks at adoption from three distinct women’s viewpoints: daughter, biological mother, and adoptive mother. It is a journey of self-discovery, and also of motherhood.

9 comments:

  1. This looks great! I put it on hold at my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've inspired me to read this to find out how Lara reconciles her own identity as it relates to the two most important women in her life. I'm wanting it to work out for all of them, and I'm hoping that it does!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing my job as a book blogger! Yay!
    Josie, if you want to review books, let me know.
    You would be good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a couple coming out that I want to review, you know which ones they are! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like an interesting story; I'll have to check it out considering I have two adopted children :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting ... I have a friend who should definitely read this.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds good! I'll add it to my ever growing list of books that I want to read!

    ReplyDelete