Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Lonely Grave


In Smithton, Pennsylvania 
there is a lonely grave. 
It is situated on a grassy area 
between two truck stops 
off of I 70 at Exit 49. 
Bill came across this unusual site, 
when he stopped at the 
Flying J Truck Stop. 
The Flying J service bays 
are located behind the grave. 


Knowing my intense curiosity and 
 interest in old cemeteries, 
he took these pictures.


According to the marker, 
the grave belongs to 
Cornelius Casali, 
who died April 19, 1818 
 in his 41st year. 
There is an eerie epitaph 
below that information.


Remember man, as you pass by
as you are now so once was I;
for as I am so must you be,
prepare to die and follow me.


I have contacted various people
in the area, but I have not 
been able to learn much 
about Cornelius Casali.
Local Smithton legend 
is that Mr. Casali was killed there 
in a stagecoach accident.
No one seems to know or care 
why his grave is located where it is.
Well, some people care.
If you happen to know anything
about this man or gravesite, 
or know who might have 
any information,
please contact me.

Rest in Peace,
Mr. Cornelius Casali. 

16 comments:

  1. Very unusual! If you find out further information on this man, do let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an extremely interesting post. It is great to think that it affected you like this, means he didn't die there for nothing! Old graves intrigue me.Thanks for telling me about my link. Hugs from London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm intrigued. Please share whatever you find out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting. I will be waiting to see if you get more information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all the feelers you put out, I thought surely you would find something. Perhaps he was a man of no consequence, if there can be such a thing. But, somebody put the gravestone there and wrote the epitaph. Very interesting .... hmmmm, I love a good mystery:)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting! I'd be curious too if you find out any more information!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is eerily fascinating. Would love to know more. Keep us updated. Tami

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am tagging you into my Liebster award :D
    I needed 11 blogs but couldn't find people with less than 300 on their blog, then found yours so you're tagged ok? :D
    http://aliaaelnashar.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-award-2.html?showComment=1341124153397#c947063353268178027

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope that somebody comes up with the information about this lost soul. As you say RIP Mr Cornelius Casall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally fascinating...
    The headstone is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing that lone gravesite would cause me to wonder too. How did it come to be maintained between commercial businesses and not fall to destruction or removal? Who maintains it now I wonder? Since it is obviously cared for, I wonder why the city has no plaque in place to tell us more about this man. I have heard that epitaph before, I loved the verses placed on tombstones in eras past. I wonder what my family might put on mine if they were given free rein to decide! Great post, Annie, and thanks to Bill for noting this gravesite and sharing it with you in pictures. He knows you so well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear McGuffy Ann, this is indeed intriguing. I surely want to know more about this if you discover anything.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm..., must be a local hero or, something, maybe the truck stop owners would know, or, you could contact the city. Very interesting thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very unusual indeed. We have a similar mystery cemetery nearby, I'll have to take a picture and share it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How interesting. Yes, please keep us updated if you find out any information about this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing to think we are interested in him, so many years after his death.

    ReplyDelete