Friday, July 13, 2012

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children



By Ransom Riggs

This young adult novel is indeed peculiar. The photographs are unusual and it is hard to imagine the stories behind them. In fact, the pictures used in the book are actual, authentic photos, borrowed from collectors. Credits for the photos and owners are listed at the back of the book, along with other acknowledgements.

The novel uses the photos to tell a story that links the photos, and supposed history behind them. It involves a mysterious island and the school of orphaned children who lived there.

Before suddenly and tragically passing away, teenaged Jacob’s grandfather told a story to Jacob. This sends Jacob on a mission for answers to explain his grandfather’s story and death. Jacob is determined to understand his grandfather’s part in this mystery, the photos, and the unusual death.

As he gets to the island off the coast of Wales, Jacob finds the mystery far more complex and dangerous than he could have imagines. Peculiar is putting it mildly.

The more Jacob searches for answers, the more questions he becomes immersed in. Fact and fantasy intermingle, and he is unsure where one ends and one begins. His sanity is questioned by others, and himself, as well. His safety is threatened as a consequence.

This young adult novel will appeal to adults as well. It is a well written, haunting, adventurous fantasy novel. The photographs will amaze and entice you, as each plays a part in this fascinating story. 

7 comments:

  1. I have this and just haven't read it yet...but I will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a book I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very intriguing! I love an author who comes up with a fresh new plot idea instead of reworking things that have been done and overdone. I like that the photos are real, we all love to weave stories around the one's we've seen, and wonder about the real lives of those pictured! Great review, adding it to my growing list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this earlier in the year and liked it too.

    Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like such a unique book, and one that we'd like to read! I'm putting it on my "to read" list. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good mystery so now that you've given your review I am sure to pick up a copy of this book soon! Thanks for giving us your expert opinion because we needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will add it to my reading list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete