Monday, July 23, 2012

The Twelfth Child



By Bette Lee Crosby

Bette Lee Crosby is a storyteller extraordinaire. She has honed her craft, and shares it in this well told novel.

This is the story of Abigail, a twelfth child, and a girl twin, in a very strict, traditional family. When her mother dies at an early age, Abigail is left to deal with her father’s anger and bitterness. Abigail’s only comfort is the memory of her mother’s dreams for a better life for Abigail.

Leaving the family home, Abigail struggles through “The Great Depression”, but survives it. It actually helps to make her a stronger woman, more determined to succeed at life. She remains firm in her resolve to have the good life her mother wanted for her.

As she ages, Abigail befriends a young woman. She sees in bits of herself in this younger woman, who is struggling just as Abigail once did. This touches Abigail, who decides to takes the young woman under her wing.

What follows is a battle, as a past, distant relative feels he deserves what Abigail has accumulated and owned. He sets out to get it, even taking the young woman to court.

Bette Lee Crosby is destined to be a classic voice in storytelling. I look forward to reading more of her well told, vivid tales.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like something I would like to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall hearing of this author before, but this book sounds like one I need to read! I'm adding it to my list right now.

    Hugs to you and the furbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book has the look of an older book?

    But it sounds like a book that is different and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I review older & new books, both, this one is actually new. But Bette Lee Crosby is a classic storyteller. She has a few books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents were both depression era farm kids, I enjoy reading books that deal with life during that time period, since it reflects what their lives must have been like. Most certainly it colored the way they lived in later years. I know I'd enjoy this book, it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete