Friday, August 10, 2012

Crazy Brave


By Joy Harjo

I have been a follower of Joy Harjo for many years. I have her books and CDs.
Her wisdom is deep, abundant and true. It is born of experience, pain and survival, though she imparts her truths with insight and clarity.

In this memoir, Joy Harjo recalls important aspects of her life. Joy’s journey in life has been a difficult one. Being of Native American heritage (though mixed), her experiences are clearly rooted in tradition and spirit. Yet, she has always felt this “knowing”. It has been her guide and her saving grace throughout her life. Her ability to trust her inner vision, her “knowing”, and this unspoken voice is indeed more than brave. Her example in following this is powerful.

I greatly respect the strong ties to nature and the earth found in Native American spirituality. I incorporate many of these beliefs and thoughts, personally. My own heritage is mixed and rough. Unfortunately, I do not know much about this part of my ancestral history.

In addition to this brave, lyrical memoir and her poetry, Joy Harjo is a gifted musician. I highly recommend all of her creative and important offerings. She is both inspiring and wise.





8 comments:

  1. My heritage is Scotch and Irish. It may be the reason we don't hold family reunions. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, & English, Welsh, German & Dutch...could be part of my problem.

      Delete
  2. My mother's side has been traced to 1600 Dutch and my dad love his heart, Irish!
    Ms Harjo sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books like this make me want to read more memoirs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of Joy Harjo, but I share your appreciation for the spiritual connection of natives people to the earth and to all living things. This book is going on my Must Read list and it just moved up to the top, to be savored as soon as I've finished the one I'm on now. I know that I will learn something new and valuable f rom Joy. Thank you for sharing this one with us, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds wonderful! I can't wait to check it out :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for drawing this to our attention; sounds like one to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear McGuffy Ann, Ms. Harjo seems intriguing to me and so I will look for her books and music. There is mystery in her I believe. Peace.

    ReplyDelete