Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Travelin' Shoes

Please join Josie, at 
as she begins a new 
writing prompt hop!
Here is my offering. 
Please, feel free to 
leave comments!


Travelin' Shoes
Birdie was a fixture on the old front porch of The Home. It seemed she had been there forever. She would rise early, dress, and sit out front in her rocking chair. She said she liked to greet the sun.

You could hear Birdie shuffling up and down the worn wooden hallways. She always wore the same old worn out slippers, along with her trademark black cardigan. Hands in the pockets, she would grin when people told her to put shoes on. She had other shoes, but would say the old slippers were just fine for sittin’ and watchin’.

Birdie would sit and rock all day. She chatted with anyone who cared to sit for a spell. Friendly and intelligent, Birdie knew about a lot of things. History was one of her favourite topics, even though she never talked about her own.

Meals were a favourite time for Birdie. She would shuffle down to the dining room. As she dined with the other residents, she would catch up on their days. She loved to listen to the news and the goings-on of the House.

People would come and go. The other residents had visitors, and Birdie greeted them as her own. Everyone loved Birdie, and she obviously loved them in return.

One cool autumn morning, Birdie began talking about an upcoming trip she planned to take. She would get out her finest dress and her travelin’ shoes. She was so excited that it was infectious. She spoke all day about it, though she wouldn’t give details. Everyone assumed she was going to have company, or perhaps was invited to visit distant family. Birdie could hardly contain herself.

The next morning she rose even earlier than she usually did. She dressed carefully in a beautiful dress and her trademark cardigan. She placed her slippers under her bed, choosing to wear her travelin’ shoes. She clicked down the long hall and out onto the porch, wearing a big grin. Birdie was so excited.

The early staff arrived, remarking to Birdie that she was up too early. She replied with a smile that today was the day! She had on her travelin’ shoes, too! She said she was ready, just had to wait. Chuckling, the staff went about their business, leaving Birdie to her rocking chair and the rising sun.

When it was time for breakfast, Birdie did not come shuffling down the hall. Her friends checked her room. When the staff went looking, they found her in her rocking chair. 

There was Birdie, a smile on her face. Birdie’s spirit, however, had flown.                                                                                                                                                               
                                                                                                              ~McGuffy Ann Morris~


                                                                PhotoBucket











32 comments:

  1. Dear McGuffy Ann, thank you for this lovely and uplifting story of Birdie. Many years ago, Frankie Laine had a song "The Wild Goose." And I think that Birdie heard the song of the wild goose and as you say, her spirit took wing. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee. I appreciate your kind words. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. I love reading about Birdie. It's a sweet story that has put a smile on my face. I can picture her sitting there rocking with a smile on her face tapping her foot gently while she waited to depart. Thanks for sharing. JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, thank you. I appreciate your kind comments very much.

      Delete
  3. This was such a neat story. I loved it with the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, thank you! I am thrilled you commented!

      Delete
  4. This is what you should be doing ... because you are so good at it. This was a heartfelt story. It seemed as though it was someone we all know. I look forward to reading more of your writing ...

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Annie, how this beautiful story warmed my heart! The perfect ending to a fast-paced crazy day. Having worked in a home for seniors years ago, this tale rang as true as if you'd been speaking of one of the residents there. You do indeed have a special gift for stories, I hope we'll see more in the weeks to come! Thank you so much for joining me on the first Two Shoes Tuesday, for suggesting the perfect prompt, and for promoting my effort among your readers. I am so blessed to have you as my friend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josie. That means a lot to me! Hugs!

      Delete
  6. What a great little story.... I am definitely going to have join in this hop....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am touched that you think that, Brenda. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. The story of Birdie is very moving. Thank you Ann for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I am glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  8. Awe, what a sweet, sad story. This was amazing...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the story of Birdie, have ran a care home for the elderly, I have had a Birdie or two as a resident you wrote this perfectly :) it warmed my heart of memories of favorite residents :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading about Birdie and I think i know her. Yelp. I've met her before. thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you coming by! Thank you! ;-)

      Delete
  11. This is wonderful, Ann. So descriptive, I was there with her and got to know her pretty quickly. And I had it figured where she was going right away.
    I really didn't want her to go, though.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Great to see you here, and get to know you.

      Delete
  12. Birdie's story is magical! She is taking the dream of happiness with her! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gemma! What a great comment! That means a lot to me!

      Delete
  13. Tears.... what a beautiful story! Lol! I have some annoying slippers too, everyone begs me to take them off. Great story! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure it is the slippers? *lol* Pick up your feet! :-)

      Delete
  14. Such a sweet story! it's kind of how I'd like to be remembered, how I'd like to "go". Peacefully, when I'm very old and ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, River...I couldn't agree more. I appreciate you being here.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful story of a beautiful person. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CLR, Thank you so much for your kind comments! Thanks for coming by, too.

      Delete