Friday, September 21, 2012

"Venting"

I am joining Brenda Youngerman this week, for Pondering with a Purpose. The prompt is "Venting". I gave this careful consideration, as this is one of my concerns: the way people vent. So I will "vent" about "Venting".

We all have feelings and opinions. We all need to express these things and be heard. Sometimes we need to “vent”. “Venting” is a safety valve, to prevent us from imploding. If we hold it all in, we can hurt ourselves, our spirit, or our psyche. However, in letting it out we need to be careful, as well. There are things to consider, doing this in a positive way.

First and foremost, respect others. Venting is not healthy if you hurt someone. There is a fine line between “venting” and “ranting”. It is never acceptable to hurt someone. Words cannot be taken back. Too often, permanent things are said in temporary situations. When you put your words before someone else, their feelings need to be considered, as well.

Anyone can say what they want on their blog, as it is their blog. It is their own forum, their platform, their space; I understand and respect that. It saddens me though, to see people vent there about others. I feel bad for the one at the other end of their “vent”, or “rant”. They are forever chastised. When you put it before the world, everything becomes magnified. However, when the vent is over, the words remain there.

Keep in mind that others also have the right to vent. If you expect others to put up with your occasional venting, then be prepared to listen to others, as well. What goes around comes around.

Whether you vent in private or public, words need to be chosen carefully. Respect yourself and others too. It is not only what you say, but how you say it. If it is not what you would want someone to say to you, don’t say it. Don’t cross the line between venting and ranting.






12 comments:

  1. All so very true, Annie! It is so easy to spew negativity on Facebook or our blogs, and regret soon follows. I am still learning to chose my words carefully and respond with care. Thank you for this very important reminder. You are so kind-hearted, I can't imagine you ever intentionally hurting anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, honey. I try to think carefully even if I am really mad. But I don't know if I always get it right. I would hate to think I hurt someone who was a friend or family just because I was angry for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always get to the true heart of the matter in a lovely ad gentle way! But it hits home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ad is and...it flew away from me too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No truer words have be written. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made a very good point here. I appreciate your well written words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT addition to the pondering prompt!
    Thanks for pondering with me

    ReplyDelete
  8. So needed to stumble across this post today...been a rough couple days...with slips of the tongue, just not feeling well and grummmmmpy. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Did I do okay with my venting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spot on Annie ... hope a lot of people who need to hear this, read it. There are many who don't get it ... too wrapped up in self, I guess. Nice job :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete