Tuesday, October 16, 2012

“Hope”

There she was, foraging through the trash cans in our driveway. Feeling that surely someone must miss this aged Sheltie, I called the county animal shelter. I was told they would hold her there for five days, in case someone claimed her. With a guilty and heavy heart, I called daily to see if she had been claimed. I really wanted someone who had loved her come and rescue her. I could not get this old dog off of my mind. I had recently lost my 15 year old dog, Velvet. I had chosen her from the Houston Humane Society when I was ten years old.  We had grown up together, and now she was gone.
After the mandatory five days I was told that unclaimed, the old Sheltie would be put to sleep. She was “about 15”, almost totally toothless, and nearly blind from cataracts. She had fleas, ticks, was malnourished, and was in obvious poor health. Told that unclaimed and deemed unadoptable, she would be put to sleep that day. I immediately went to get her, paid the adoption fees, and named her Hope.
We drove directly to my veterinarian. He confirmed her advanced estimated age, the vast variety of parasites, including heartworm, and a severe kidney infection. Further tests showed that Hope had nerve damage in her hips and legs, suggesting she had probably been abused, explaining her stiff, shuffling gait.
We successfully put Hope through all of the various, necessary treatments. However, it was dangerous for her to under-go the two-part heartworm treatment. The treatment drug used contained arsenic, which was injected intravenously into the dog to kill the heartworms. As the heartworms die, they constrict the dog’s heart. Hope collapsed during the second treatment. The true survivor that she was, she bounced back though.  She survived another hardship.  
After weeks and months of tests and treatments, Hope was finally given a clean bill-of-health. It was an amazing sight when one day Hope greeted us at the door, wagging her tail for the first time!
Not long after this, Hope went into what was to be her last “heat-season”. Unfortunately, it lasted for six weeks (rather than the usual three). Grits, our three year old yellow lab, and ever the romantic, thought for sure he could make a May-December romance with her work. We on the other hand, wanted the entire situation to be over! Hope had to be given hormone injections to end her cycle, and thus Grits’ infatuation.
For the next two years, Hope graced us with her sweet old-dog ways. Her resilience and appreciation amazed us. She loved everyone, letting them know with a subtle nudge of her nose and an easy wag of her tail.
Because of her poor eyesight, we had to keep watchful for her. Sometimes Hope would become “lost” in the yard, which thankfully was fenced-in. One warm sunny day, I could not find her anywhere. I called her, even knowing her hearing was very poor. It had been almost an hour since I had let her out in the yard, and most of that time I had spent searching. Heartbroken and perplexed, I sat down in the grass. All of a sudden there was rustling in the bushes, and out strolled Hope who had apparently found a cool, shady spot for a nap.
What was to be Hope’s last summer, we took her with us on a fishing trip to Minnesota. She traveled well both in the car, and the boat. She slept much of the time, just enjoying being with us. We loved being able to give her fun and security in her old age.
About a year-and-a-half after adopting Hope, I noticed a lump on the side of her neck. Checking further, I found several other lumps---all obviously enlarged lymph nodes. Being a veterinary technician, I knew this was serious.
The next morning I took Hope to work with me.  At the clinic, we did a biopsy of the lymph node in her neck. Several days later I was the one who took the call from the lab, which confirmed my fear. Hope had lympho-sarcoma---a fatal blood cancer, with a very poor prognosis.
I was not ready to let Hope go, but while she appeared to feel fine, I knew it was only a matter of time. Hoping to prolong her life, even if only for a little while, I decided to try chemotherapy treatments for her.
She took the first intravenous treatment well, as she had all of the previous treatments. The second dose caused serious reactions, however. She was vomiting and had severe diarrhea. She also lost her usually hardy appetite, becoming listless, which was quite unlike her. I immediately discontinued the chemotherapy.  This was not what I wanted for Hope; she deserved better.
Now I knew now it was only a matter of time before the cancer metastasized in her lungs. I knew that I had to watch for the signs: panting and walking with her front legs far apart, as she struggled to expand her lungs. I knew that when she started to have trouble breathing, it would be time to let her go.
When we adopted Hope I had promised her that she would always be loved and safe. She would have everything that she wanted and needed. I would never let her be hungry or scared, and there would be no more pain. I kept my promise.
She was comfortable. Her last days were of sunshine and sleep, petting and pampering. She let us know when it was time; I saw the signs. I took her in to the animal hospital before office-hours one morning. I held her and told her how special she was, and how loved she was. I told her how brave she had been. She went peacefully and painlessly, without fear.
On a sunny summer day (the kind Hope loved), two years after I took her in, I spread her ashes in the flower garden that she so loved to sunbathe in.
Not only had we given to Hope, but she had given to us. In spite of the pain that people had caused her, she gave us unconditional love and devotion, loyalty and trust.
Hope taught us about the quality of life and the importance of living it. She taught us that trust can lead to hope, and that hope can lead to love. Hope also taught us that while love can’t conquer all, it can make a difference.
"Hope"
(1987)






28 comments:

  1. Tears. What a sweet story!So many folks would have just let the shelter put her down. Bless you for loving her and caring. You gave her hope.
    Stop by the porch if you get a chance. You don't have to link up the questions. You can link this post up to share with the ladies. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patrice...I stopped by, and will be back. Hugs to you & Wendell.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful story. It brought tears to my eyes as I recalled my sweet K.C. (short for Kitty Cat). We adopted her from a shelter when she was barely 6 months old. She had been found beaten and abandoned in an alley by a trash bin. She was so skittish and timid we could tell she was fearful of humans. But 17 years of love and attention, she was a part of the family and enjoyed queen status. She contacted a kidney disease in her 17th summer four years ago and was in a lot of pain with no treatment left at that point. When it became apparent the end was near, I took her to vet to let her go in peace. I drove with her in my arms, tears pouring down my face as I told her how much joy she had brought to my life and how thankful we were she made us hers. I still miss her dearly, but know that it was the right decision because her suffering was becoming very apparent. Thank you for sharing your story of HOPE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mamaw Bee. K.C. was blessed, as were you.
      I plan to share more of my stories. Thank you for yours. I understand. Hug.

      Delete
  3. Now I am sitting at work crying... what a wonderful story... it is time for you to write a book about animals that you have adopted... you have such a great gift for telling these stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda...wow. I am honoured by your comment. I guess I try to do for critters what you do with people. Thank you. I am working on that book. Hugs.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful story about Hope, filled with love and compassion, and making me cry at the end. How blessed for Hope to spend her final years with you. I know God sent her right to your door, McGuffy Ann, you are truly one of His angels ministering to His beloved creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie who makes me write, and gives me the tools to do it. I do what I feel is right. I am a tool. Love moves me. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. I write this with tears streaming.....and I am speechless...If there is any greater love than what you showed your wonderful Hope, I'd be hard-pressed to find it....A very beautiful story....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne...your words made me cry. Hug.

      Delete
  6. Awwww Hope. Beautiful wonderful Hope. Thank you for sharing her story here. She was loved and cared for in the last years of her life and that's just lovely. Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Old Kitty...yes Hope was loved and knew it. I miss her still. Hug.

      Delete
  7. What a bitter sweet story Ann, I enjoy reading this story of love and compassion. I'm so glad that you gave Hope a second chance and that she brought you so much love and joy.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did, Julia. Hope blessed us. Hugs.

      Delete
  8. This is your story ... you always give the animals that you meet hope and your Hope was no exception. They all shared their stories with you and now you share them with us ... time to write the book, Annie. This is your calling and writing about it is an extention of that.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, you have seen me lose sleep to keep critters alive. It is my passion, my mission. I will write that book. I do believe I am supposed to do this.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, this made me cry. Thanks to you, Hope had an amazing life during her last couple of years.
    And she brightened yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Hope was amazing. Seeing her happy made it all worthwhile. Hug.

      Delete
  10. Tears here, too! Thank you for sharing this beautiful story, and thank you for loving Hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving Hope was easy. Thank you. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. oh my this story made me cry as well. Hope lived to be around 18? That is incredible...all thanks to YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Hope was around 18. She was very special hugs.

      Delete
  12. Well, a cry before bedtime wasn't really what I had in mind, but apparently you had other ideas! Such a beautiful story, made more touching to me because so many of my dog friends have been Shelties, and they were very much a part of our family. They are all gone now, but I still think of them with love. Thank you for sharing your story of Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful story and so kind. There is nothing better than giving a pet there last years on earth a safe and loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope was a sweet dog, Ann. And you gave her another, better, life.

    Your writing made me sad as we lost our 16-year-old beagle, Adi, one month ago today.

    Adi and I wer a registered therapy team. She loved people and she loved me even more.

    Adi was a very good dog (link)
    Jim's Tuesday Two Shoes (link)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember reading about Hope last year. You did a wonderful thing by taking Hope in, especially in her condition. And she realized that and gave you unconditional love in return. This is a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in tears. What a touching story. Poor Hope, that she had to get that terrible cancer, but thank goodness she got to live a wonderful life with you. I know she's on the Rainbow Bridge waiting for you. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lovely. Hope was blessed and she was a blessing. Furry family members are so important in our lives--they give so much and ask so little.

    ReplyDelete