Sunday, October 7, 2012

October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month!

 
Editor: Damien Moore

This book is an excellent training tool for dog owners. He sections of the book are detailed, easy to follow, and is illustrated with actual photographs.

In the first section, the book gives suggestions on how to choose the right dog for you, including the breed and sex of the dog. Characteristics of breeds are discussed, including dominant and submissive behaviors.

The book covers early training, an essential key to a happy dog as well as a happy owner. Rewards and discipline are explained, offering common sense guidelines. Tactics for training are integral. This book makes it easy to understand.

There are tips for how and when to handle various situations, discussing giving and enforcing commands. Training devices such as collars, leashes, and crates are pictured and explained.
The book outlines indoor and outdoor training, explaining the differences in exercise and training, and suggests games to play with your dog.

Finally, the book offers sections on re-training and behavioral problems giving workable solutions. These are especially helpful when adopting an older or a rescue dog.

I obtained this book when I was a veterinary technician. I used it when I had a pet sitting/pet care business, and was involved with training many ages and types of dogs. This book is invaluable. It is common sense, accessible, and easy for all ages to use. I recommend it for both dog owners and potential dog owners.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Ann! I SO agree about adopting shelter dogs. We got our beloved dog, Vern, from one in March of last year. And the one before him, Tiger, was also gotten from a humane society. The best dogs in the world! Here's a link to my blog post when we first got Vern: http://beckypovich.blogspot.com/2011/03/its-boy.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear McGuffyAnn, from your review, I can see why you value this book. It seems to cover all the topics that someone living with or considering getting a dog would need to know so that both the canine and the human are happy together.

    I've always been a cat person, but I so remember "Kentucky" who was my brother's dog when we were growing up. Kentucky went everywhere with my brother when they roamed the farm and its creeks and woods. They were best friends.

    Thank you for reminding me of the two of them and especially of Kentucky who was so devoted to my brother. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! All new dog owners should be required to read this book first! I always feel bad about poorly behaved pets, because their owners are usually at fault. It takes effort and committment, like any good relationship! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm...this makes me think that I need this book "Finally, the book offers sections on re-training and behavioral problems giving workable solutions. These are especially helpful when adopting an older or a rescue dog."

    ReplyDelete