Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap

A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book

By Wendy Welch

Following their hearts, Wendy and Jack Welch leave life in the fast lane to move to small town Appalachia. With no idea how they were going to do it, they proceed to buy an old house and open a bookstore. In this day of electronic books, computers and technology, against all odds, their little dream was becoming a reality.

What follows is that the community embraces Wendy, Jack, their cats and dogs, and the little bookstore. This is a very special memoir about special people coming together as a community, epitomizing community spirit and faith.

Wendy Welch writes with heart, soul, and humour. She not only loves books but is a wonderful storyteller, as well. This heartfelt book is for all bibliophiles, cat (and dog) lovers, dreamers and believers.

Visit them at: 






7 comments:

  1. It is a pleasure to read about someone who has opted to follow their dreams and is able to make that a feasible reality. I know I'd love this book, adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the great review, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will definitely look for this book. I have heard of Fancy Gap but not Stone Gap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to read this book. Thanks Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like an interesting and heartfelt read

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the simplicitly of the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy reminds me of a lady I knew who moved to my home town and eventually married a fellow she met in church.

    This lady opened a bookstore in her home, okay by zoning and non-exsitent deed restrictions. The whole town got behind her as before there was no book store for them.
    ..
    I'll keep checking for your 'Two Shoes' entry (please).
    And yes, I also was a door guard more than once for Mrs. Jim. We did have some ladies get arrested in Houston for a mass invassion at the Rockets Basketball facility. Very soon after there were more RR's for the ladies.
    ..

    ReplyDelete