Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Life is a Highway

It has been a week since my last travel update. Needless to say, a lot has happened! We have been east, west, and in between. A trucker's life is hard! It is endlessly changing, physically and emotionally challenging. Hurry up and wait! There is no routine. And there are areas where you cannot get Internet or even phone usage. It's been a wild week!

We took a load of meat from Holcomb, Kansas to Butler, Wisconsin. It was strange being so close to home. Even though we had a "Delivery Appointment", we ended up stuck there for fourteen hours! After waiting, and then the mandatory break time, we were called to do a "swap". Bill had to pick up a load from another driver who was unable to make his delivery.

We drove through the beginning edge of Hurricane Sandy, as she took over the Great Lakes area. We drove through the wee hours of the morning, sleet and high winds battering us. Bill did a great job driving in the wind, but not all truckers did. Along the corridor of I-80, east of Cleveland, we saw an overturned truck.
We had five deliveries throughout the corridor of northern Ohio! The sleet and winds did not let up, as the storm was relentless. We had some interesting experiences. Bill delivered to a few places, including the courthouse in Cleveland.
We had some problems with the trailer and had to take it in for repairs. The GPS sent us through an area that I call "Tiny Town". It was particularly difficult for a tractor-trailer! I felt like I was Alice & Bill was The Mad Hatter, as the roads got more narrow and everything seemed to be getting smaller. Finally we were able to find another route and get the trailer fixed, to finish the deliveries.

Leaving the Cleveland area, still in the storm, we encountered another rolled truck. This one was a driver with the company Bill works for. This is very frightening to see, and a reminder to be aware of road conditions. Please give truckers room.

We were routed back west in Ohio to pick up a load of soup. Two miles from the shipper, it was cancelled. We then spent a couple of hours arguing with the GPS, trying to find a truck route into a cold storage plant in Defiance, Ohio. (Interesting name, considering.) We picked up a load of chicken and turkey when we finally found a truck route into the facility.

We traveled across Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Missouri on the way to Oklahoma.

Ohio



Indiana Pumpkin Farm  

Missouri


Oklahoma


After delivering to Pryor, Oklahoma, we had to pick up another meat load in Dodge City, Kansas. The flies are incredible in cow country. Fighting them in the truck is reminiscent of "Beetlejuice", the movie.

Today we are in Kansas, still. We swapped the meat load to another driver, as Bill's tractor was due for maintenance and some repairs. He also is taking fall classes and updating permits. He was also given a random drug test. We have no idea what is next, but I'll keep you posted.

It takes a certain, special kind of person to be a good trucker, like Bill. Seeing him do what he does and experiencing it with him is definitely different for me. I am blessed to experience this and that he wants me to.


25 comments:

  1. That is one big page of adventures. We have a lot of respect for truck drivers in our house. Although when in a little car, which we have, it is intimidating to be next to them. Mommy always gives truckers a lot of maneuvering room.
    Love Noodles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Noodles! You have a very smart Mommy! ~xo~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to ride cross country with whoever in a truck. I could travel forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...not whoever! It is dangerous, too. Not everyone is like Bill, some aren't as moral as he is.

      Delete
  4. Amazing that you are doing this...I am so curious about where you sleep and eat...how often you stop...can you read while he drives?

    When will you be home...how are your babies?
    Can you eat healthy food and stay well and be rested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do a post on these questions! Good ones! The truck has a sleeper unit: bed, shelves, we cook & eat in it. Yes, I can read anytime. I can only blog at times because of travel & dead spots, no service, rough roads, etc.

      Delete
  5. seriously, please write a book about this....and then sell the movie rights. I read what you said about long waits and cancelled shipments...bu the romantic side of me is going into over-drive!! ha

    so glad you are enjoying this time with Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will work on this. Thanks. You are so sweet.

      Delete
  6. This is quite an adventure, not all good with respect to storms and accidents.

    Lots of fodder for writing. :-)

    I'm a homebody, though, and so prefer to be in my own home and bed at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I am a homebody, too. I really miss my Girls!

      Delete
  7. I am really enjoying your road adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Such adventures!! I hope those poor drivers with the upturned trucks are ok! Glad you both made it safe through Sandy! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, we think one did not. It does happen, sadly.

      Delete
  9. I had the pleasure of riding in a big truck years ago. I was visiting Savannah and got to ride a little ways up the road to Macon. It was an adventure but not something I could do. If a vehicle has more than six gears, I'm outta luck.


    Enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun! This is quite an adventure for me!

      Delete
  10. That certainly sounds like an adventure with many unexpected twists and turns. Glad you all stayed safely upright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wake up in one place and end up sleeping in another! Thanks!

      Delete
  11. My goodness Ann, truck driving is filled with unexpected twists and turns and you are right that it take a special person to do that job on a regular basis.

    Hooray for truck drivers and we should never take them for granted. They do a very important job and
    I'm very thankful for the job they do to keep us supplied with food and commodities. They are a big link in our daily lives.
    May God keep all the truck drivers safe on the road.
    Keep safe and God bless.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia. You certainly know! Without farming & trucking, we would be lost.

      Delete
  12. I am so loving your willingness to take us all along on your journey as a trucker's wife. It's just so fun to learn about, despite the bad weather, accidents, and waiting... endless waiting, you get to see a lot of open country and with the guy you love! It IS romantic, despite it also being hard work. I did a bit of riding in trucks in my young adulthood, loved every minute of it! I know you are eager to get home safely to your furbabies, and it will be a joyous reunion for sure, but I'm so glad you've had the opportunity to share this trip together... wonderful memories to smile about when you are old folks like us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* Old folks like you! It is amazing what Bill does and how well. I love that I am able to do this with him. I can see how it could be lonely too. We both miss our Girls.

      Delete
  13. This is just amazing! You are so brave. I am very happy to hear you are OK with all the storms out there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If high winds were expected I am surprised that the semi-trucks were allowed on the highways. That must have been scary to see those two trucks rolled over. Still, it must be somewhat exciting to see how your husband lives o the road. This was an interesting post and reminded me of our travels.

    ReplyDelete