Friday, March 29, 2013

Meet My Bill


Bill is my husband of almost 32 years. We met in 1977, and became friends right away, though our friendship grew over the next four years. We eloped on June 6th, 1981, later having our marriage blessed.

When I first met Bill he was playing lead guitar. I walked into his apartment with friends, and was captivated immediately. He was friendly, sweet and I felt comfortable with his welcoming ways, not to mention that he was adorable.
As I got to know Bill we both realized we enjoy much of the same things: sports, fishing, nature, animals, and more. We shared life goals, morals and values. We are not identical, but we share everything. Loyalty, honesty and commitment are things we both take seriously.

Bill grew up on the South Side of Chicago. I am a North-Sider. If you know Chicago, this says a lot, in itself. Even the way we speak is different. The North-Sider tends to enunciate very clearly, while South-Siders tend to speak very casually. The infamous Mayor Daley was a South Sider. To me, this made Bill that much more colourful (and he is).

Bill attended the schools of Chicago’s South Side during a difficult time, the late 60s-early 70s. He went on to gain some college, eventually forging a career in manufacturing. Starting as a machine operator, he worked his way through Inspection, Engineering, and ultimately Sales. After over thirty years in this field, he was laid off during the most recent “Recession”. Manufacturing being out-sourced to other countries has hit the U.S. very hard in many ways.

Not one to sit still, Bill reinvented himself. He followed his father’s footsteps into trucking. He went to school, and got his CDL with all of the credentials; Bill never does anything halfway. He wanted to contribute to society, being part of the solution, not part of the problem. He has an excellent record as an over-the-road trucker. He follows the rules of the road, as well as those of trucking. He takes his job and safety very seriously, because it is.

When not trucking, Bill still plays guitar. He is an extremely talented guitar player, learning at age eight. Bill has been in various bands over the years. While he is mainly a lead guitar player, he is also a talented rhythm player and bass player. He can read music and play by ear. A true musician, he understands music theory.
Being raised half-Hungarian, he can play polkas and classics. His love however is Classic Rock, Classic Country, and Rockabilly. His trucker dad was a musical influence. Bill’s dad had grown up a country boy, raising chickens in southern Illinois. He was a great influence to Bill in many ways, including musical tastes such as Johnny Cash and Hank Williams.

Bill has a great love of nature and wildlife. He has helped me save many animals over the years. He has learned the ropes, both supporting and assisting me in my endeavours. Not raised with animals, he grew to love them. He has a real soft spot for all critters. Cats had to grow on him, as his family was not cat-friendly. I refer you to his comment on my recent “Cat & Author” Mark Twain post: http://mcguffysreader.blogspot.com/2013/03/cat-author.html

Having a deep compassion for every living thing, Bill is also an excellent gardener, with an extremely green thumb. He can grow anything, and has saved many plants, too. His respect for all things in nature runs deep.

In other areas, Bill bowled on a league for many years, even bowling a perfect game. His team came in first place more than a few times. He also is a fan of football, and NASCAR. Bill is indeed a “good old boy”. He is decent, honest, funny, sweet and has a heart of gold. 

A very favourite past time is fishing, when he can find the time. We always compete on this level, as to who can catch the biggest, baddest fish. It is our hope to spend our “Golden Years” fishing and soaking in nature.

This is just a brief “pondering” on my Bill. So, when you see a trucker, think of Bill. He is a real guy, with morals and values, just doing his job to the best of his ability. He also has someone at home who loves him and is waiting for him.

with Brenda Youngerman
Word Prompt: "Bill"

54 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great guy! Has he got a brother? Father? Grandfather?!

    Talking about Southside Chicago reminded me of a hit tune about that and I can't remember what it was. I went to Youtube and came up empty. Does that ring a bell with you guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, he is the last in his line. I think you may be thinking of LeRoy Brown.

      Delete
  2. The second pic of Bill - my oh my! What a handsome fella!! Hello Bill!! Lovely to meet you - glad you are keeping up with your creative side!! Yay! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment disappeared...Justin case it appears twice!

    Who wouldn't love a man like your Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice tribute to your husband and your life together. How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute for your Bill! My dad was a truck driver oh so many years ago so I know it is not an easy life!

    My brother's name is Bill. Do you remember the song Do Ron Ron?
    "I met him on a Monday and my heart stood still
    Da do ron-ron-ron, da do ron-ron
    Somebody told me that his name was Bill
    Da do ron-ron-ron, da do ron-ron

    Yeah, my heart stood still
    Yes, his name was Bill
    And when he walked me home
    Da do ron-ron-ron, da do ron-ron"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did meet Bill on a Monday!

      Delete
  6. Hay ... tell me something I don't know :) Bill is everything you say and more ... and he saved my Rose of Sharron. Speaks to what a good marriage should be ... lucky you. :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have been through a lot...together.

      Delete
  7. I was hoping you would do this!!!
    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, you made it easy and meaningful for me!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a perfect match- a long lasting life and love affair together and just goes to show how the north and the south can come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It has been interesting!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post about your honey. Excellent.

    Have a terrific day and a very happy Easter. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. McGuffy Ann,
    Thank you for introducing us all to your Bill. What a lovely pondering...it made for a wonderful and warm post.
    Have a great weekend.
    Oz (and Gina)

    ReplyDelete
  11. really wonderful tribute to a really good man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read with interest your loving tribute to your man Bill. I'm sure that he thinks as highly of you too. I hope that your retirement dream comes true soon as you wait patiently.
    Happy Easter
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post about your Bill! He is such a Renaissance man, and with a kind heart, too. Congratulations on 32 wonderful years together, McGuffy Ann and Bill. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is. He can do anything he puts his mind to.

      Delete
  14. Lovely last para - which says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an honor for your husband. Hope you both have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful, sweet tale about your Bill! Your love for him shines thru all the words! Mighty handsome guy, both back then and now! He truly is one of the few good men God made, and God new how much you needed and deserved someone special like that!

    I love the way you ended this post, yes - watch out for those truckers out there, they have families back home that love them and wait for them to return. It's not an easy job, but drivers like Bill make it safer for the rest of us.

    Wishing you those years of fishing in retirement somewhere down the road, hopefully our cabin will be just around the bend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a beautiful tribute to your husband, I am sure he will cherish this. Ahhhh the 70s!! Fun times my friend, fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a very lovely tribute to your husband, Bill. It is evident that you love and respect him. He's a very lucky man and vice versa to have found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ever since I learned that Bill was a trucker, I often think of him (and you) when I'm on the road. And I never pass on the right anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. You are so special.

      Delete
  20. This is a lovely tribute. I especially like the message about when they are away from home, as my hubby is also a trucker (not by trade, he also got into it later).
    It's so important that we remember all the safety rules ourselves, such as not pulling in front of heavy laden vehicles, and causing an accident. It's scary for us to consider that they are always on the road and we are at home. Hugs. Your Bill sounds like a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get this, then. Yes, it takes a special guy to do these things well. Thanks, Kate.

      Delete
  21. Hi Bill!!

    what a great post, what a great guy (and both those music playing pictures - sooooo handsome!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilary. He is pretty special. And talented!

      Delete
  22. Thank you so much, Ann, for giving us the opportunity to meet the man in your life. It is such a pleasure reading about Bill. He sounds like a great friend, and I felt good just reading about him, and regretted that I didn’t have an opportunity to meet him in person. This was a wonderful blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shimon. I appreciate your kind thoughts. He is my best friend. I am blessed.

      Delete
  23. It is so nice to see someone deeply in love with their spouse after all those years. I can see why you were attracted to him...he was as the kids say "a hottie!".

    My husband also had a CDL and drove coach buses around the country, therefore he has no fear of driving this 32' RV. I'm still adapting to it...slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Bill is awesome. I really have a lot of love & respect for him, even now.

      Delete
  24. I imagine you have had some of your girl friends show some jealousy along the way. A musician, great looking, friend to the animals. What a great guy (and the beard is very nice, too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually, you are correct. There were some girlfriends who were a problem. Bill is unshakable, a rock. Our trust is complete.We just have the same basic morals, honesty, values & respect...and love. Thanks!

      Delete