Thursday, May 30, 2013

Tying Up Loose Ends

I often spent time with my grandparents when I was small. When I was three years old, my grandparents took me along on their weekly shopping trip to “Sears & Roebuck”. While there, I was allowed to choose new sneakers. I chose a pair of plaid sneakers. They were the most beautiful shoes I had ever seen; I had plans to learn to tie them. I was a very determined, independent kid.

When we got home, my grandmother laced up my new sneakers. I took my Lambchop doll and went into the sun room. Settling into a chair, I set out to learn to tie my new shoes. It was just afternoon, so the room was bright and sunny.

I tried the bunny ear method, and the round-the-loop method. I worked and worked, tying and untying many knots. I was determined; I did not give up. By dark, I could tie my shoes all by myself! I was very proud as Lambchop and I went into the kitchen for supper, showing off my beautifully tied plaid sneakers!

For the next seven years I tied the shoes of my older brother, younger sister, and all of my friends.  I was ten years old when I finally insisted my older brother learn to tie his own shoes. I taught him and my younger sister at the same time.

There comes a time that you need to take care of your own business, whether it is tying up your own loose ends or taking out the knots.

Prompt: "Knot"

23 comments:

  1. what an awesome self-taught, determined little thing you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have been called stubborn.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story, McGuffy Ann! This post made me smile, and so did your choice of bright plaid sneakers... perfect! In so many ways you are like my daughter - determined and self-sufficient. She taught herself to tie her shoes, taught herself to swim, and taught herself to bake an apple pie one day while I was at work. She was insistant on teaching herself and doing it her way... and that's helped her survive the knots in life, just like it has you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie. Knots happen, but to go on you must untie them. So you learn, re-tie them, and you don't stumble in that same way. Life is full of knots...and some pretty plaid sneakers with bows. Hugs.

      Delete
  3. What a sweet memory. I love your story and I bet that you are still as determined as when you were young. I love those plaid sneakers btw.
    Hugs,.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I appreciate your kind words! I loved those shoes!

      Delete
  4. That was the first lesson in tying up loose ends and there have been many to follow. Life seems to be forever challenging us ... good that you have the tenacity to tie up those loose ends and get out those knots. I enjoyed this post, McGuffy, which is usually the case when you write something ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it was the first, but it made an impression. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  5. I love this... and you are still a determined little girl!

    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I appreciate you allowing me to ponder with you. Hugs.

      Delete
  6. First I love those sneakers. Those are indeed beautiful. I'd wear them now.

    Second, you are indeed determined. I'm sure you've been that way all your life too. Excellent.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandee. Yes, I have been determined. I try to do what needs to be done and do the right thing. Thanks. We should form a plaid sneaker society!

      Delete
  7. You were a determined little girl! I was that way about learning to roller skate. LOL Cute plaid sneaks..I would wear those now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I would wear them, too!

      Delete
  8. Loved the story - and the shoes. I think I had a pair like them when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You probably did; they were pretty cool!

      Delete
  9. I love this story...you were a very sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Determination is the path to success. Getting to where you need to be by yourself. Loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yup- you are so correct! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a memory! I can't even remember where I've LEFT my shoes, let alone when I learned how to TIE them! :)

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a child I spent loads of time with my grandparents too. They always bought my siblings and I our shoes for each new school year. Thank you for bringing back a buried memory. Great story.

    barbara @ allmylivesnow.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great little story. My grandparents were absolutely the best part of my childhood. I also just got a new pair of sneakers. They are black with a huge Hello Kitty head on the outside, hot pink laces and black faux fur lining! Yippee, I can't wait to wear them. Janet

    ReplyDelete