Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Beyond Belief


My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape

By Jenna Miscavige Hill, Lisa Pulitzer

Jenna was born into Scientology. Her uncle, David was the leader of this highly powerful “religion”. Upon turning twenty-one, Jenna found the courage to leave this controversial world behind. 

In this book, Jenna finds the voice to speak out about the “Church”, her life as a Scientologist, the rituals and secrecy within its boundaries, and its shielded leader, her own uncle.

Jenna discusses her early and long separation from her parents, her isolation and neglect during her childhood of “indoctrination” and church training. She also discusses its effects on her and the relationship, all for the “good of the Church”.

She discusses the Church’s emphasis toward recruitment of celebrities, loss of personal control, and harsh punishments and lack of personal freedoms for those who disagree.

This is a very revealing memoir about the highly secretive, hidden world of Scientology. It is told by an insider, one who grew up in it and survived to tell the story.

19 comments:

  1. I might have to read this one as I have a friend that works at the main office in L.A. His Dad hasn't seen him in 20 years. He had a successful business with his wife and now own nothing but live in a room provided by the church.
    It breaks my heart. It took his sister 3 days of waiting to finally see him when she came to visit with him. It is a dangerous group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend this. It is eye opening.

      Delete
  2. Some religions are frightening and this is one of them. Not the most frightening, but right up there.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my reading list- I've heard about so many good reads this spring, I am afraid I won't get to all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that book sounds both interesting and disturbing. Good for Jenna that she found the courage to leave Scientology. That must have been scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read similar books from survivors of "religious" cults and the tale is often heartbreakingly the same. This sounds like it would be a very eye-opening account of the truth behind the gilded fairytale fed to us by the media. I definitely want to read it, there is so much shrouded mystery behind this organization. To be informed is to be forewarned. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This is where my curiosity comes in. I want to know, to understand life around me. That is how you can gain knowledge to make intelligent decisions.

      Delete
  6. This is a must read book for me. Thanks for sharing the review.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I want to know the insides of Scientology ... I am so turned off by what I have seen on the surface. I fear for this brave child as I know that what she is doing here is frowned on by the followers ... I may pass on this one. Good Review though, McGuffy Ann ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to educate yourself to understand, even that which is difficult. I am all for learning and knowing.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an interesting read. When my husband was in law school, I remember a classmate trying to get him to read L. Ron Hubbard's books and become involved in Scientology. Glad he didn't buy into it. Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you married a smart man. Fascinating memoir, though.

      Delete
  9. It really has been kept secretive...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a very interesting book. The variety of childhood experiences always amazes me. Thank goodness children are so resiliant and able to recover from many of the horrors of their early years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read other books on the subject including one by a man who was in this cult for 30 years before he found the courage to take his own life back. It is a tragedy that the freedoms we defend, and the special treatment we reserve for religious institutions are sometimes abused by the likes of these. It's a paradox, and difficult to handle.

    ReplyDelete