Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Swimming with Maya


A Mother’s Story

By Eleanor Vincent

This is a very raw and emotional memoir. It would be simple to say that it is about the relationship between a mother and daughter. It would also true to say that it is a story of organ donation. However, this memoir is about these issues but also so much more.

Eleanor Vincent goes into painful detail discussing her relationships with her own parents, loves in her life, and her often turbulent relationship with Maya. She tells of the difficulties in raising Maya and her sister. None of this was easy on the author, or those involved.

When Maya is injured in a fall from a horse, she is hospitalized in a coma. Eleanor shares with courage and honesty the emotions and heartbreak of watching her daughter die. She also shares the decision of organ donation.

This book is an important tribute to love, and also that of honouring life. Eleanor Vincent manages to turn a horrific loss into a celebration of life. This book is an important read for many reasons. 

28 comments:

  1. I may have to read that someday ..Not today my own mother just passed away last year and I think it would be too much but ...Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly sorry for your loss. The mother-daughter relationship is such an important one.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an excellent read, and I'm so happy you recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Organ donation is such an important issue. This is a very meaningful book.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this review! I just put the book on my GoodReads list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very moving book. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The circle of life. It always ends in death. It's what we do between the beginning and the end that counts.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. This book is a tribute to love and life.

      Delete
  6. McGuffy Ann –
    Thanks for your excellent review of Swimming with Maya. I appreciate your nuanced view of my intentions as a writer in describing the complexity of loving and mourning a beloved daughter. My book is about life – and that includes death and loss. The most important question is, how do we go on? Swimming with Maya attempts to answer that question through one woman’s journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a privilege to read your book, and an honour to review it. I will never forget it, you, or Maya. Peace.

      Delete
  7. This book just went on the top of my reading list. Life is not easy, nor are mother-daughter relationships. I am always uplifted by those who are able to take heartbreaking situations in their lives and share them in a way that teaches and encourages us all. I know from your review that this book is going to make me cry, but I also know I'll end up smiling through the tears. Ordering my copy today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend this book. It is unforgettable.

      Delete
  8. Wow, the Kindle edition is a fantastic price, it's downloading on my iPhone as I write this! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds SO intense. Thank you for sharing about this book with us, McGuffy Ann. I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very special book. It stays with you.

      Delete
  10. A very empowering book review about the importance of organ donating and the emotional side of donating organs from a deceased loved one. Very touching.

    Thanks,
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very touching true story. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. It sounds both heart-breaking and inspirational. Thanks for the review. I'll have to check it out. Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is both, indeed. Do check it out.

      Delete
  12. The book sounds sad and intense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will check it out, really. I love to read and the more meaning to it, the more I like to read and learn and think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I am, too. Please check this book out.

      Delete