Saturday, June 1, 2013

Trucking with Tornadoes

In trucking, Bill has traveled through all kinds of terrain and weather. He has driven in fog through the mountains, snow storms and blizzards through the plains,dust storms in the high desert, and now tornadoes. 

Thursday night he drove through tornadoes as they crossed through Arkansas. The wind, hail and rain battered his 18-wheeler, making driving very hazardous. He was eventually able to find a safe place to stay the night. 

Friday, as he trucked through the Oklahoma City area, he passed the devastation from the recent Moore, Oklahoma tornado on I 35. He was driving on I 40, through El Reno, Oklahoma when he encountered this tornado. He took this picture.


*photo taken by Bill, from his truck*

Bill's rig actually lifted off of the ground four times, and leaned toward the tanker truck next to him. When the truckers were discussing it on the CB, he realized that they were referring to his rig. He told them that they were talking about him! 

This video is not taped by him, but it is what he actually saw and encountered. Traffic was backed up for miles, and had to come to a stop for roughly half-an-hour. 



It takes a lot to unnerve an over-the-road trucker, as they see so much day after day, week after week. This however was beyond the normal scenario for anyone. Thankfully, Bill and the truckers temporarily stranded with him were all safe, and went on their way after the storm passed. Yet, this again illustrates why you need to be alert at all times...and why I worry.

28 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! i am so glad he (and the others) are safe! i saw the news reports, but this makes it so very real. too close for comfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the reports and knew he was in the area. We couldn't connect by phone for hours. Scary.

      Delete
  2. How scary! I watched the different storm chasers on tornadovideos.net and I couldn't believe how wicked the storms looked. I'm glad Bill was safe and also glad my trucker son in law didn't have to go into Oklahoma until this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. I am glad your son in law is safe, too!

      Delete
  3. That is so scary. I am grateful everyday that we don't live in an area that gets lots of tornadoes. You must have been so frightened when you found out what Bill was involved with. Glad he's okay. Janet IF YOU TRIED TO COMMENT ON OUR POST "PAYBACK FOILDED" AND COULDN'T DUE TO THE CAPTCHA CODE, MOM HAS REMOVED THE CAPTCHA REQUIREMENT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew he was there, so it was scary!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, just too close for comfort. I'm glad that he didn't get tumbld by the tornadoes and is safe and sound. Just so very scarry stuff.

    You are a tough lady to have to live with your husband on the road weeks after weeks.
    It must be tough for you.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I just support Bill; that is my job. Hugs.

      Delete
  5. Many miracles this night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YIKES!!! That's skeery!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely terrifying! I am so grateful that Bill came through this unscathed, but I'm certain it is a night that he will never forget. God is watching over him for you out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill is smart, and his Co-Pilot is God.

      Delete
  8. Thank God he made it through. That was some bad stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is scary enough when your husband is out on the road for long periods of time, there's so many possibilities for problems. My husband drove tour buses for 10 years and shared his tales of near misses when he'd return home. You just have to have faith that everything will be okay and live with it in this life. But that's easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I trust Bill and I trust God. I pray a lot. That is all I can do.

      Delete
  10. We're glad Bill and the other truckers were safe! We can't even imagine the terror...We've seen the news reports, of course, but that can't even come close to the reality of the devastation.

    Purrs and purrayers to all from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There is so much we have no control over. One can only hope & pray.

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy that they were all safe and went on their way after the storm. I'd worry too. I would worry a lot.

    Have a blessed Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness. That's so scary. I'm so glad that Bill and the other truckers around him are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you pretty much have to worry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is about it. I guess that is what love does.

      Delete
  14. The pictures say it all. When you told me it concerned me, but it didn't really sink in ... this is scary and I feel for Bill that he had to go through it. Thank Goodness it ended well for him, though many others were not so lucky. Nature can be cruel and takes no prisoners ... I'll be glad when Bill can be closer to home and in a safer situation. The truckers are true wranglers ... and they have much to deal with. Bless them all ... they make our lives look easy.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. It really takes a very special person to be an over-the-road trucker, especially a good one. I am proud of Bill. I worry, though, 24/7. I knew he was there, as I watched it happening on TV. *augh*

      Delete