Monday, June 10, 2013

What They Do in the Dark


By Amanda Coe

Set in the 1970s, this emotional novel takes place in Yorkshire. It tells the gut wrenching story of two very different ten year old little girls.

Gemma seems to have everything, but is distraught over her the ending of her parent’s relationship. She withdraws into her fantasy world of her favorite child television character, Lallie.

Hard scrabble Pauline envies the seemingly idyllic life of Gemma. She sees only the perfect clothes and hair that she wishes she had.

When Lallie’s production company comes to town, both girls have a chance to fulfill their dreams. However, it is the dysfunction in the adult world that controls them all. Ultimately, the girls are affected by escalating bullying and cruelty with tragic results.

This is a dark novel, with very real and timeless situations.

8 comments:

  1. I don't like dark novels, as when I was a child everything was dark. I don't want to relive any of that.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I understand. My childhood was dark, too. It does colour things, and comes out in my poetry.

      Delete
  2. My childhood was only semi dark, but I usually don't read really dark novels - unless in a particular mood, which doesn't happen often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to figure the darkness out, then I wanted to know why people do what they do. I wanted to understand people.

      Delete
  3. I love dark...this sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The novel sounds interesting. I like to understand how people function. I think that I can get pass the darkness and get to understand what makes people do what they do.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is where I am with this kind of book. While it is fiction, it is very realistic.

      Delete