Sunday, August 18, 2013

The DNR vs. Giggles the Fawn

Bill recently came across a video that disturbed him. He knew it would disturb me, but told me about it because he knew I would want to know.  I need to share this story and situation because it is important. 

We live on the Illinois/Wisconsin border. There are many wild animals in our area. Recently, a family found an orphaned fawn. They took it to the local "no kill" animal shelter. The day before the fawn was to be moved to a licensed wildlife facility the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources raided the shelter. Nine DNR agents and four County Sheriffs stormed the shelter, gathering the employees to a holding area. The DNR then immediately killed the fawn, leaving with it in a body bag.

Please watch this video for the heartbreaking news story of Giggles the Fawn.


The Wisconsin DNR could have done things very differently. The fawn could have been taken to their own facility and tested for disease. Instead, they chose to storm a private animal shelter and slaughter orphaned wildlife. There is no logic in what they did, nor is there any concern for the creatures supposedly under their authority. They have done this before

For more on this story and the Wisconsin DNR, watch this video:




This is a government agency. They work for us, the citizens. I do not want my government using my tax dollars for this kind of assault against wildlife. What they did here makes no sense. The DNR uses bullying and cruelty to destroy natural resources rather than educate and preserve them. Your taxpayer money pays for it.

To close your eyes and look away does not solve problems. I believe, "If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem." Please look into your DNR, and what is happening with wildlife in your state and area. You are part of this; you are paying for it. Educate yourself and make your voice heard. 

Even if you are not in Wisconsin, please take a moment and contact Governor Walker. His contact information is at the end of the second video; you can pause the video to obtain it. Let him know what you think of what his DNR did to Giggles. I know that I did. Thank you.

30 comments:

  1. I already knew the story and it made my blood boil again ... especially because I know about them killing the Mute Swans because they aren't native ... They are a reflection of much that is going on in Wisconsin ... it's not the state it used to be. Could you post the address and phone numbers that are on the video so people can write them down and make the calls ... It was off the screen before I could get something to write on. Great post Annie ...

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I had warned you when I told you this story that I was going to post it. While Wisconsin has an obvious problem, I fear they are not alone in this warped thinking. That is why I want everyone to look at and question their state's policies on wildlife. This happened in my backyard. Everyone needs to find what is happening out there, and then act on it.

      Delete
  2. That is horrible and disturbing! We will contact Governor Walker and let him know that this is unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really appreciate that, on behalf of all wildlife.

      Delete
  3. How horrific is this? As if this was their only option...truly upsetting and definitely blood-boiling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It truly is. It makes no sense. Thanks Talon.

      Delete
  4. This is an unforgivable breach of government authority. I am amazed that there aren't thousands of people in Wisconsin out marching at the capitol in protest of this. The senseless killing of a life, any life, sickens me. It is not acceptable, ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our government agencies are supposed to protect, educate, and utilize our resources. What the DNR did is an senseless outrage. They work for us, and we need to remind them of that. We need to hold them accountable.

      Delete
  5. This is a sad story for the wildlife. They need to be protected too:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful! This is senseless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't have to happen. This kind of cruelty needs to be stopped. Now.

      Delete
  7. Gasp! I had no idea this was going on. You can bet I'll contact the govonor also, although I don't have much respect for him. But I'll try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know exactly what you mean. I appreciate your concern.

      Delete
  8. what a horrible horrible thing and how horrible is the State of WI to do that. It is beyond my imagination. I will do as you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If we don't speak up, nothing will change. We have to be the voice for those who cannot speak.

      Delete
  9. These things are awful. We have a fabulous wildlife rehab center here, and our State wildlife people work with it, and i'm glad.

    For some reason, these people seem to have only one solution so often and that is to kill, and it's awful.

    We once had a situation of a local business that had exotic wildlife without a permit and they weren't caring for it. Our state people aren't perfect, but once i set an invesitagion in motion with a complaint, they got the animals out of there and moved them to a place where they could be cared for properly.

    We also have the local animal control people who never kill wildlife unless it's a threat. They rehome raccoons that get too bold, or take injured animals or exotics held without license or in a bad situation to the wildlife hospital/rehab place.

    Keep on them about this, and it will change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mimi. We have to move them as a society. It is our government. We need to take action and hold them accountable. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  10. It's good that you speak out against this atrocious abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Crazy weird. Another poor use of taxpayer dollars it seems. Too, too much of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. The DNR is wasteful with our money and our natural resources.

      Delete
  12. I can't watch it. I just can't. I'll have nightmares. What a shame. What a shame. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandee, that is a shame. If we turn our backs, this will continue. If we are not their voice, who will be? I love animals, and that is what moves me. They make life better. I want to make it better for them.

      Delete
  13. That's very terrible. I don't think that was necessary.
    : (

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's too horrible...and so very sad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came by yesterday but was unable to leave a comment as I had to leave.
    I think that it's so uncalled for. What savage thinking... I could not bear it to see this cruel act.
    Thanks for people like you who brings awareness to this problem.

    My son and husband will not mow in a field if they spot a fawn, for fear of harming it. A few years ago my son was cutting tall hay with the big combine and didn't see the small fawn and it got trapped in the combine and he was devastated and cried. He was so distraught about the accident.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, thank you. It is cruel. I cannot turn my back on animals. Thank you for your support and understanding. Hugs to you and your family.

      Delete