Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Late Summer Song


The Rose of Sharon had bloomed all Summer, attracting numerous hummingbirds. It also attracted many bumble bees who would become so heavy with pollen they could barely fly. However, the end of Summer brought a special surprise.

A pair of Cardinals had been busy at the nearby bird feeders for several days. I watched them chattering to each other and visiting the Rose of Sharon bush. One morning as I filled the bird feeders, I noticed the female was taking bugs into the Rose of Sharon. As she left, I peered into the bush. There sat a perfect little nest, with two little hungry babies waiting.






The parents were very protective and active in caring for the babies. It was only a matter of a couple of weeks that the birds were fledglings, taking flight, and following us around the yard and garage. The parents are still nearby, watching both us and their now independent young ones. Life indeed goes on, just as it is meant to.


20 comments:

  1. What a delightful post. Yes, this is the circle of life.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH how fortunate and wonderful! I have never but one time had such an experience,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you are full of surprises ... what an adorable event in the tree that Bill saved ... so maybe he could be Grandpa Cardinal :)

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww so lovely to see your feathered family fledge!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet! It is SO special that you got to watch all of that unfold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what luck to have found a cardinal nest in your bush with two little babies in it. That is really something to rejoice about.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! What a beautiful sight to see. I bet they are fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seems amazing this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are do lucky yo see this:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really, lovely captures of the cute babies...
    Nice find to sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Watching this cycle never grows old, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is a good post and those were nice pics of the birds. You're lucky to have taken a shot! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so nice. my kids were just thrilled this summer to have 2 nests of baby birds to watch. I was a bit less than thrilled that they settled in some of my Christmas decorations - ha - but I guess they wanted a "pretty" nest. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool birds! I got to see some humming birds this summer too with also some occasional red cardinals. I get to see and feed baby birds that are just a few weeks old, when I volunteer at a local wildlife shelter. I enjoy seeing them, but they are difficult to feed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. We always have a lot of nests around us but I've never seen Cardinals nesting. How beautiful is that and how lucky are you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. How absolutely precious this is! What a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful photos. I love baby birds…and all new life!! I have never seen baby cardinals up close though. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Being away on vacation last week, I didn't get around to comment, but this post just touched my heart... so precious! Life, from the very smallest to the largest, is so precious in the eyes of our Creator! Beautiful photos, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Didn't know birdies laid eggs and had babies this late in the season. Very interesting. Janet

    ReplyDelete