Thursday, September 5, 2013

"Power"


It was the “dog days” of summer, with stifling humidity and no breeze for relief. Laundry still had to be done, though it was a long, tedious chore. She had to unplug the air conditioner to plug in the washer or dryer (using only one at a time).

Just as she plugged in the dryer, there was a loud humming…followed by a ~CRACK~! A power surge had blown the transformer right off of the utility pole across the street. 

Slowly she unplugged the dryer, not that it mattered since the power was now out.

Story & Picture: McGuffy Ann Morris


34 comments:

  1. Wow I hears the crack! That happens out here so often I felt right at home with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe. I think it does happen too often. Be careful!

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That brought back memories of several years ago - not fun in the heat of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, miserable. I don't know how I ever survived withour air conditioning!

      Delete
  3. That is always such a frightening experience in the moment that a power surge blows out an outlet! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! Electricians are very brave people.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Good to hear, Roe. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  5. That is the time one need patience:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Electricity is nothing to mess with, and when the power is out...it is out.

      Delete
  6. I had to smile at her unplugging the dryer, that would be me too! This was a great story, Annie, I think many of us can relate to years of living in places with bad wiring where it was always a balancing act as to what could be plugged in without blowing something else out. I lived one place that the coffeemaker or the toaster could be at work, but not both! It would be very frustrating to try to do laundry this way, especially with no AC. That power surge would have gotten my attention too, I sure don't miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a true story. It happened. It was me, about 25 years ago. It knocked out the entire area. Bill still laughs at me, but it wasn't my fault! It was quite a show, though. Bill saw the transformer blow. Yikes.

      Delete
  7. I had a feeling that it had happened to you. I'm glad it was years ago.
    It really make one appreciate electricity when it's out. I enjoyed the short story.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. Oddly, I wasn't afraid. I was a little confused, and then surprised...but thankfully, NOT shocked!

      Delete
  8. We've learned to go dark as we call it and live without power from time to time. If you do then you learn to survive just fine without the power. I'd rather have the power though as it makes things far easier and far more comfortable.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have learned to, as well. Our area is a very old, rural area. It isn't our choice to live with power, though. Air conditioning is a necessity when you have asthma & bad lungs. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

      Delete
  9. a dreadful event in the heat of summer, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and is whenever the power goes out. But, we survived!

      Delete
  10. This is wonderfully written. I seen in the comments that this had happened to you. Wow. I at one time couldn't run the dryer and the microwave without blowing a fuse. My house is old, my grandparents raised me there, and after their passing, I got the house. I've had a lot of electrical work done since 1999 though. It's strange how when the electricity goes out in my community, I find myself out of habit, flipping on light switches, or trying to use something that requires power. I love how descriptive this story is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donetta. I agree, I do the same when the power is out. We get used to things a certain way. Our area is an old rural area, so things were updated when required, only. We have redone things on our house over the years, too. Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate them.

      Delete
  11. Wow, your words really brought that scene to life, McGuffy Ann. I've experienced that "crack" before, and it is a scary first, then sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sad. It took awhile to fix everything.

      Delete
  12. If that happened to me, I'd be cussing through tears. I love your words, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. Your kind comments make my day!

      Delete
  13. We've had many a transformer blow in this neighborhood, but never come right off the pole. When a hurricane comes through, you here them going, one after another, right down the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so antiquated. It was surprising it hadn't happened sooner.

      Delete
  14. Makes me cringe even thinking of that happening. I love summer, but hate the heat. The thought of being without power is an awful one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lived in a garage apartment years ago that had an iffy electrical system. I was scared the whole time I lived there. But I never blew a transformer...

    ReplyDelete
  16. That made me chuckle; though, I am sure the lady of your story wouldn't be. Janet

    ReplyDelete