Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Route Change

 
We are home. Our road trip this time was much shorter than usual. We ran a couple of routes in Nebraska and Kansas. Then we wrapped up some loose ends before Bill changes trucking companies.
 
Bill has been an over the road (OTR) trucker for two years. After 35 years in the corporate world of manufacturing (Engineering and Sales), the economy literally went away through outsourcing. Bill decided to re-invent himself, rather than collect unemployment or assistance.
 
Bill's father was a trucker. He decided to also contribute to the economy by helping to move it. His usual runs were from 4-6 weeks away from home. When other people were having vacations and holidays, we were apart.  Needless to say, this has been extremely difficult emotionally. We have been married for 32+ years, and friends for 36+ years.
 
Bill now has a full two years of experience OTR. It is time to move up to a better position with a better company. He is currently narrowing down his opportunities and choices. He will be back on the road very soon.
 
Bill is excellent at what he does, and he enjoys trucking. Everything that you eat, wear, or use got to you because a trucker helped get it there. Truckers are invaluable in the world today, and that definitely includes Bill.


14 comments:

  1. i wish him good luck in finding a better position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truckers rock. I want to thank you both as you're just as big a part of trucking as he is.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back and the best of luck to Bill as he moves up the chain! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful that he could adjust and go with the flow. Many were not that talented.

    Wishing him good luck finding a better position maybe one with weekends off!

    Thank you, Mr Trucker, for getting those supplies to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill is to be commended for what he has done. So many have had to do that lately. Luckily both Tom and I are retired. But I do know how hard it is to be apart. Until last fall, for the previous 12 years, Tom was away for one-third to half the year. I love having him at home all the time now. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure that Bill's experience will be able to get him a better position in the trucking business.Good luck to him and bless your heart for being such a great support to him in his difficult job.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...it's nice to be home! He will have time to think and make the decision that is best for him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is really doing a great job. Nice to read updates from you:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Bill. It's not an easy job, i'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. welcome home!
    it must be amazing to see the country from the truck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how hard that can be. When Pete was driving coach he'd be gone for long periods of time also. I hope something comes up for him that allows for better hours. As they say...keep on trucking baby.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My nephew is a trucker too. He has sent me some fabulous pictures thru the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reinventing is now easy and three cheers for Bill for making it work. Now maybe the payoffs ... Fingers crossed that all works out well for both of you.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad y'all made it back home safe. I had actually seriously thought becoming a 18 wheeler driver a couple of years ago, but I couldn't get the money and I was thinking about joining the National Guard so that they could train me, but I decided that I didn't want to join the army and also that I didn't think that I could be on the road that long. I have problems with sleep driving and backing up and I didn't want to hurt somebody.

    I once went to New Mexico with my dad and older brother after a day after a blizzard had just hit and the restaurants and grocery stores were running out of food because all the truckers were stuck in traffic from the storm. I've seen all of the documentaries and videos about truckers and I want to thank them and Bill for the great job that they do! : )

    ReplyDelete