Sunday, November 17, 2013

“Letters”


It started as an occasional innocuous, but oddly knowledgeable, note left on her car. After several, the letters began showing up at her house, growing longer and more intimate, though the handwriting was unrecognizable. 

The letters held compliments, but also questioned her everyday activities, even offering advice. With each letter she grew more frightened, unsure who would do this and why they persisted anonymously. 

Then suddenly, just as the letters had started they completely stopped, though her unrelenting fear continued.

Story and photo: McGuffy Ann Morris

Linked to: Five Sentence Fiction 
Prompt: Letters

20 comments:

  1. ooooohhhh. Admirer, or stalker? definitely gave me a chill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, there has to be more to this story ... I can't let it end here. I want to know, who ,what, where, when and why. Sounds like the start of a good mystery to me ... Awesome as always.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes - you are leaving me wanting more!! You have a way of writing that just grabs my attention from the first sentence. Good job.,

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this day and time, not flattering, just creepy. A good story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you have us intrigued. Is there a sequel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creepy! I got gooseflesh reading this, which is nice because it's hot and humid in Florida right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok...this totally scared me...thank God Roxie is here to protect me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very unsettling to say the least.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rendered the horror of stalking beautifully! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. an intriguing tale - such a clever interpretation p.s. thank you for stopping by my blog. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully creative beginning story ~ thanks for commenting on my blog,
    carol, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scary stuff! I don't do well with those kinds of guessing games. I would much rather have people in my life who come out from the shadows! I think in this case it would always be resting uneasily in the back of my mind, wondering who knew that much about me and if they were still watching. Good story, Annie, chilling!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That would definitely be unnerving especially with the person knowing about her everyday life. Just because the letters stopped I don't think I could rest easy if I were in her situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Would you consider expanding this? It really caught my attention, and I know I would read more if there was more. Janet

    ReplyDelete