Friday, November 1, 2013

Locust Creek Covered Bridge

Recently, as we traveled through Missouri, we were able to visit the Locust Creek Covered Bridge located off of U.S. Route 36. It is near Meadville, in Linn County. The pedestrian bridge was built in 1868 out of white pine. It was originally part of Route 8, the countries first transcontinental road. 


The path to the bridge

Locust Creek today

Approaching the covered bridge

Locust Creek Covered Bridge

 
Bridge entrance

The interior of Locust Creek Covered Bridge

The exit of the bridge

At 151 feet long, the Locust Creek bridge is the longest of Missouri's last four remaining covered bridges. It is a beautiful nationally registered historical site, and maintained by Missouri State Parks Historical Society.

17 comments:

  1. We don't have many left here, either. There's a famous one in New Brunswick, but I think it was damaged in recent years.

    I assume you can still walk through the Locust Creek Bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this glimpse into the past. It's a shame there are so few of these left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love covered bridges. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those old covered bridges. It looks in great condition. We had one destroyed by fire on last Halloween. What a lost.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I love covered bridges! So this one is just used for pedestrians now? It looks like it's still in pretty good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so very beautiful! This looks like a scene from the past. You were blessed to be able to stop by for a visit, I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhhhhhh......I SO want to live somewhere when I can see covered bridges. I don't think the West has even one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just have to love these quaint beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen one, I guess there aren't any in Arkansas. This one is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a beautiful walk down memory lane. I have never been in Missouri, but I have seen covered bridges in Indiana and we even have a small one in Long Grove. This speak of a simpler, more peaceful time in my minds eye ... really enjoyed this post.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would be such a lovely walk on a cool autumn day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore covered bridges and that one is gorgeous. Reminds me of "Bridges of Madison County"

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great trip that would be. I love covered bridges and you sure don't see many anymore. Good photos too. Thanks for the interesting tour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so furry nice! There must be plenty of places to explore =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love old covered bridges! there's a tour you can do in New England (or at least there used to be) that visits several. I used to go to Vermont a lot. beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beauty. I love covered bridges and used to see lots of them when I lived in Georgia and even a few in Oregon. So far I haven't seen any in this area of Washington state.

    ReplyDelete