Friday, November 22, 2013

Someone Else’s Love Story



By Joshilyn Jackson  
    
This beautiful novel drew me in from the first page and held me to the last. It is definitely a complicated love story, but the love is sincere and often heartbreaking.

Shandi is a single mother of precocious, bright three year old Natty. She has convinced herself that Natty was a miraculous virgin birth. She cannot face the reality of this being the result of a party she cannot remember. She also refuses to see Natty as a mistake. She is a wonderful mother, fully devoted to Natty.

William is a brilliant research scientist, he is a genius. However, he has Asperger’s. He is struggling with emotions and life. He is also trying to deal with the car accident that resulted in the loss of his wife and young daughter.

Shandi and William’s worlds collide at a convenience store where a robbery takes place. Shandi, Natty and William are taken hostage along with several others. William becomes the hero, first sheltering Natty and then taking control of the hostage situation. Shandi immediately feels drawn to William, as does Natty. A deep bond forms between the three of them.

As their relationship grows, they find out more about each other and their pasts. They inevitably learn more about themselves, as well. There are many twists, turns, and surprises in this book. 

Joshilyn Jackson has a way with portraying characters that you care about, in difficult situations.  This is a sweet, touching novel filled with people who ultimately seek not only to be loved, but to love others, too. 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. I love Jackson's work; I definitely need to pick this one up.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your review makes me want to rush out and get this book. Hey, if I get it on my Kindle, I'll get it even faster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really good book. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. My list is going to two pages now of "must reads".. but I just barely met my goodreads challenge this year. My eyes are really giving me fits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with her work, but will be checking this out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My list grows ever longer, but I'm happy, too, because the holidays are coming and some of my wishes might actually come true. Thank you for the great review and hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely lovely review...plus I have this book! Now I can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to reading this book I am just finishing up the prequel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the kind of story more people should read (including myself). We need some heartfelt feelings in our lives today. Good Review, McGuffy ...

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one really sounds intriguing, Annie. I like love stories that have depth and involve real life issues. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete