Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas!


The Twelve Days of Christmas
(with John Denver & The Muppets)

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were forced to practice their faith privately. This carol was written as a catechism song for young Catholics. It was symbolic, so that children could identify with them and remember the meanings.

1. The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.
2. Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.
3. Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.
4. The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
5. The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.
6. The six geese a ‘laying stood for the six days of creation.
7. Seven swans a ’swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
8. The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.
9. Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit-Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness,
 
Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.
10. The ten lords a-leaping were the Ten Commandments.
11. The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.
12. The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed. 


~Merry Christmas~
May you receive many blessings this Christmas and holiday season, and may the Christmas spirit remain in your heart to bless you & your loved ones all year. 

I will be taking time to spend time with Bill. He is home for Christmas, after six weeks on the road. This is his first holiday at home in a few years. I will be reading posts, but may not be able blog much while he is home. Please understand. I will be back at posting & commenting regularly with the new year.  

Finally, I sincerely thank you each for your continued support. I have made some wonderful friendships and met some kindred spirits through blogging. You are each an important part of McGuffy's Reader. I wish each & every one of you a very Merry Christmas, filled with much love & peace. God bless you and your loved ones.

26 comments:

  1. I learned something new here! I didn't know that was the origination of this song. Enjoy your time with Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this and am so glad you posted about it. I have posted it on my FB profile as I think there will be lots who will like to know how this originated. Merry Christmas from far away Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas- have a wonderful holiday with Bill!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God's words find ways to come through.
    Enjoy your time with hubby. Nice meeting you here in blogworld too;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, McGuffy! Have a wonderful time with Bill, and of course we all understand!! See you in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that song. Thanks for posting it. Merry Christmas dear friend. Enjoy every minute of it with that special man of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas!!! That was interesting info!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Ann. Enjoy this special time with your sweetheart.All the best for the Holidays. I enjoyed the the video. Thanks for the information about the origin of that song.
    Hugs
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy! We will miss you but totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Enjoy your time with Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a happy holiday. I cannot believe it is almost the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never heard that about the origin of the song. It's wonderful! I hope you had a great Christmas day. Enjoy spending time with Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas dear hearts...both you and Bill and the fur babies. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1000 posts! What a pleasure for those who have had the opportunity to read each one. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very Cool! I just learned something new:) Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always loved that John Denver/Muppets version of the "12 Days of Christmas."

    This was such a great post -- totally fascinating about the origins of the carol's origins. I never knew!

    Sorry we are SO late getting here, McGuffy Ann. We hope you, Bill and the furries had a most wonderful Christmas! Much love and big hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I look forward to keeping up with your wonderful blog in the coming year. You are a very talented writer!

    Valerie-The Word Pirate

    ReplyDelete
  19. That rendition always makes me smile. Cool to learn the meaning behind the song. Thank you! I hope you and your family had a beautiful and bright Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's cool, I never knew that!

    That's ok, thanks, I hope y'all had a merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year! : )


    ReplyDelete
  21. I just learned that fact this year. I will always sing the song with a different mind set from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was raised a Catholic but never knew this about the "12 Days of Christmas." I am slightly embarrassed that I let Mauricio write a cat version. This song means so much more to me now. Glad you were able to have family time and that Bill was with you for the holidays. XO, Janet

    ReplyDelete