The Twelve Days of Christmas
(with John Denver & The Muppets)
From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were forced to practice their faith privately. This carol was written as a catechism song for young Catholics. It was symbolic, so that children could identify with them and remember the meanings.
1. The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.
2. Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.
3. Three French hens stood for faith, hope and love.
4. The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.
5. The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.
6. The six geese a ‘laying stood for the six days of creation.
7. Seven swans a ’swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.
8. The eight maids a-milking were the eight beatitudes.
9. Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit-Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.
10. The ten lords a-leaping were the Ten Commandments.
11. The eleven pipers piping stood for the eleven faithful disciples.
12. The twelve drummers drumming symbolized the twelve points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.
~Merry Christmas~May you receive many blessings this Christmas and holiday season, and may the Christmas spirit remain in your heart to bless you & your loved ones all year.
I will be taking time to spend time with Bill. He is home for Christmas, after six weeks on the road. This is his first holiday at home in a few years. I will be reading posts, but may not be able blog much while he is home. Please understand. I will be back at posting & commenting regularly with the new year.
Finally, I sincerely thank you each for your continued support. I have made some wonderful friendships and met some kindred spirits through blogging. You are each an important part of McGuffy's Reader. I wish each & every one of you a very Merry Christmas, filled with much love & peace. God bless you and your loved ones.