Monday, January 20, 2014

Chaser


~Unlocking the Genius of the Dog Who Knows a Thousand Words

By John W. Pilley

John Pilley had taught animal behavior for many years, always incorporating his dogs into his curriculum. When he retired he needed that same challenge, and indeed he found it in Chaser.

Intrigued by Chaser’s intelligence, as well as her eagerness, Pilley set out to see how much Chaser could learn. He spent hours every day designing ways to teach Chaser. He also created experiments to test her. Having logged results, Pilley goes into great detail explaining his methods.

By the age of three, Chaser had actually learned 1022 words, reacting and responding correctly to each word. In addition to this she can reason using the process of elimination, by sorting through items to find the unfamiliar one.

While I am sure not every dog can, or is meant to, rise to this level, I keep in mind that not every human being is “a genius”.  However, this book does illustrate the possibilities of animal intelligence, particularly the dog. Border Collies are believed by many authorities to have the highest intelligence of all dogs, and therefore need constant challenges. 

Dog lovers will enjoy the interaction and connection between Pilley & Chaser. This book also offers understanding of the way dogs think and their motivation. In understanding your dog you can change or enhance their behaviours; this is what proper training is all about. Proper training makes for a good foundation and a solid bond between a dog and his or her family. 

24 comments:

  1. I recently got this book but have yet to read it! I need to dive in because everyone is saying it is a great book.
    Happy Monday!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a bit surprised to hear that dogs are capable of learning far more than we typically give them credit for. They are so eager for new challenges and love to please us. I'm certain this would be a fun and interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Josie. Dogs are amazing. Each breed has their strengths, and this book illustrates the intelligence of this breed. It also illustrates the possibilities of the dog as a species.

      Delete
  3. I love this guy and what he's done and his research and beautiful wife and dog! He was featured on the BBC and it was so wonderful to see!! Yay for him! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fascinating book. This entire topic is intriguing.

      Delete
  4. I would love to have a smart dog like that. I've seen it on Youtube video and was so impressed. This is a wonderful book for dog owners to understand how dogs learn.
    Thanks for the review.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I agree with you! Hugs!

      Delete
  5. My Jack when I was a teenager probably had average intelligence for a Woofie as he would get off the couch and be on the floor when I opened the door. I peeked thru the window and them made a noise. He got down instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your Jack sounds pretty smart! ~xo~

      Delete
  6. I just want that dog because of his adorable face...love the sound of that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a pretty typical Border Collie face. Our Polly was a Border Collie/Coyote mix. She was something!

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a very interesting read. I know my toy poodle understands things that sometimes surprises me. He knows what B.A.T.H. means, and if I tell him to go look out the window he jumps up in the chair and looks out the window. I really don't know how he learned that. But the neighbor hood children got a kick out of it. Anywho, I may have to get this book and read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are really incredible, and this proves it. I think you would like this book.

      Delete
  8. Genius and intelligence are not limited to humans, and this sounds like a good start for a proof text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were an amazing team in this book, and continue to be in life.

      Delete
  9. I do believe that dogs are very intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My "nephew" is a border collie and he needs constant challenges. Can't resist a book with a dog on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Polly was Border Collie/Coyote. Yes, she needed challenges, or she would make up her own!

      Delete
  11. Border Collies are absolutely brilliant!! I grew up around them since my aunt and uncle had a sheep farm, and we often had big family parties at their huge farm house. Not just at herding the sheep -- but when us little kids were playing outside, the dogs were herd us!! Their farm was on a major highway, and if we started down the lane towards the road, the dogs would herd us back to the lawn where we were supposed to stay. Or out of the woods. They even played hide and seek with us - seriously, they would actually hide. or come find us. It was hilarious. I absolutely believe dogs are capable of much more than people think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine this! Polly was amazing, too. Shelties are much like this, too: herding, playing, and reasoning.

      Delete
  12. I didn't know they could learn that many words - amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are incredible. That is why we like having both cats and dogs around: balance.

      Delete