Tuesday, January 7, 2014

From Pigtails to Chin Hairs


~A Memoir and More

By Becky Lewellen Povich

This memoir is filled with heartfelt stories beginning with growing up in 1950s America’s heartland. I could relate to many of her references. Becky shares vivid tales of being a tomboy playing marbles, climbing trees, and of putting on parades with bicycles and wagons. She recounts stories of parochial school. She is honest about her trials of learning the multiplication tables, and other childhood moments, both good and not so good.

We also meet Becky’s family. She was very close to her father until the family was divided by divorce and miles. This strained her relationship with her father, yet the rest of her family was close. She illustrates this in each touching memory of family vacations holidays, and the ups and downs of life.

Not long after high school, Becky eloped. The next few years were spent as an Army wife, stationed in Germany. She also shares stories of motherhood. There are many tales of this period of her life. Even through the obvious hardships, Becky retained her trademark sense of humour and positive attitude. Though her first marriage ended, Becky shares happy stories from her second marriage.

She is open, honest and very genuine in her writing.  There are many funny stories, due to what Becky refers to as having a “klutz gene”. Reading her book is like sitting down with a friend and reminiscing. Her book is both fun and easy to read.

The 1950s were a simpler time in many ways, and Becky reminds us of the simple goodness of growing up in that time. The foundation was set. Becky Lewellen Povich took her roots and continued to grow. In each life experience she found humour and lessons. I am thankful she shares them with us in her writing. 

Please visit Becky on her blog: Becky Lewellen Povich: Writer, Humorist, Bliss Follower . 

37 comments:

  1. I love the TITLE in this book - love that kind of humor! This book sounds great, kiddo. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry Blue Sky! Glad you love the title! Whenever women hear it, they usually laugh out loud! :) I hope you'll read it.

      Delete
  2. As another girl who grew up in the Midwest in the 50's, I know I'll find this to be a fun trip down memory lane! I'm adding it to my reading list and heading over to check out Becky's blog. Thank you for the review, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Josie Two Shoes! I'm pretty sure you WILL love reading it! If you're interested, it can be purchased directly from me, or from Amazon. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. A wonderful review. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the wonderful review, Annie! I truly appreciate it, and I'm so glad you enjoyed my memoir that much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Patty Magyar! Thank you for stopping and commenting! I hope you get the chance to read it! :)

      Delete
  6. You did a great review on this book. I like honest writing.
    Thanks, Amy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Thank you! Hopefully you would really enjoy reading it!

      Delete
  7. I always love a good book review. Yours makes me want to pick up this book. Sounds like a cherished read.

    Thanks for sharing, and writing this review so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CLR! Thank you! And I agree, Annie did a wonderful job writing the book review!!

      Delete
  8. I have to get this book!! Your review of it makes me want to dive into it right this minute. I adore memoirs, there is something about re-living a treasured moment of someone's life...it tugs on the heartstrings...this one is next on my list. Thank you for sharing Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tami Jardine! I can't thank you enough for your wonderful comment. I do hope you'll read my memoir and let me know your thoughts afterwards, too!

      Delete
  9. Sounds exceptionally good and like a person and memoir to which I could relate. Right now I am reading the memoir of Pat Conroy, my very favorite author. But will take note of this one for future reading. Thanks for the review. XO, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kitties Blue! Thank you very much! I do hope you'll give my memoir a future reading!

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a great read especially for those of us who grew up in the fifties. I adore the title. I'm on my way to Amazon to take a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello SquirrelQueen! Wow, thanks for your comments! Amazon does let you "Look Inside" the book a little bit, which I really like. It can be purchased there, of course, and/or directly from my website. Weren't the fifties the best?!

      Delete
  11. IT seems that it is a nice book to read:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that title though. awesome.
    this sounds like one my mom could really enjoy. I will have to pass it on to her. (not that she has chin hairs or anything! don't say I said that....she can still put me in time out. ha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rory Bore! Thank you for your comments! You really made me laugh. And don't worry, I won't tell your mom you said that....Shhhh!

      Delete
  13. sounds like a good read and fill of things I can relate to. Thanks for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariodadatsmom! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  14. Oh Becky, I have to get your book! The title is just wonderful! What a great review, congratulations! I know it's well deserved! I know it'll be a book that I can't put down!

    Hugs, sweet friend.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Nancy! You are wonderful! You just made my day!! :) Thank you, thank you! (I hope my book lives up to your expectations!) :D

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous review of a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey EC! Thank you so much! Your review was quite gorgeous, too! :)

      Delete
  16. She and I would get along great ... as a 1950's Tomboy, who climbed trees and played baseball and football with the boys, I know where she is coming from. Simple and wonderful times ... we could go out on the street at night and not be afraid. I love the sound of this book ... think I will put it on my "to read" list.

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrea! How fun to "meet" you! Yes, we would surely get along great! I'm glad you like the way my book sounds and that you might put it on your "to read" list! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I have to thank you again, McGuffy! Your review is just fantastic and your followers/commenters are wonderful. I hope to hop over to all their blogs as soon as I can!

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Becky! And a big thank you to all who commented. Becky is wonderful!

      Delete
  17. Hi McGuffy, I read this book a month or two ago and loved it. Becky has such a down-home way of expressing herself, she reminded me of many of the things that went on in my life in the fifties. She brought back many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Gigi Ann! Somehow I missed seeing your comment until just now. I apologize for that! And thank you again for your wonderful review of my memoir!

    ReplyDelete