Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Lost Lake


By Sarah Addison Allen

This wonderful novel is set in Georgia. Kate, a young widow, has been merely sleepwalking for the past year. Her mother-in-law has taken over her life, as well as that of her young daughter, Devin’s life. Kate had only gone through the motions of living.

Upon coming across an old postcard of Lost Lake, Kate realizes that she needs to take control of her life and Devin’s. Lost Lake is just the place to start. She remembered it as the perfect place of her childhood, as she and Devin set out for Lost Lake Resort.

The resort is owned by Kate’s Aunt Eby who, now growing older, wonders if she should continue on or sell the old place. It needs work and she is tired. Both she and the resort are not what they once were, she fears.

However, the resort has colourful people who have gathered there for many years. They come together, each with their own woes and stories. Misfits of various kinds, they have a place at Lost Lake, finding acceptance, friendship, and ultimately themselves.

Kate finds the support that she needs at Lost Lake. She finds a special childhood friend, as well as Aunt Eby. Kate is reawakened and energized by Lost Lake. It has a magic of its own. Devin knows this immediately, following clues to uncover mysteries and secrets there. 

This may be one of Sarah Addison Allen’s best works. I believe it is indeed a magical novel. I was drawn in from the start, and did not want to leave Lost Lake.

20 comments:

  1. That sound like a really interesting book. I just don't take too kindly to controlling people,and I'm glad that Kate is taking control of her life.
    I'll be looking for that book this summer to sit on my outdoor swing on the deck and read.
    Thanks for the review.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, all of Sarah Addison Allen's books are great! This one is, too.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to read this one! She's going to be at a bookstore kind of near us this weekend, and I'm really hoping to go and get a signed copy. I keep hearing great things about the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very fortunate! She never disappoints.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review, Annie! I have this book on my list and plan to buy it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I appreciate your thoughts. I know you will love this.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of her books but I like the description of this one. Part of the appeal is that I grew up in Georgia. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my word. You would love her books.

      Delete
  5. This book sounds like something I would enjoy reading., Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I think you would like her books.

      Delete
  6. I just got this today...I was so surprised. I love this author's work. Did you know she is a cancer survivor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did know that. I have followed her for quite some time. I love her writing.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great read! I love stories like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe I will look for this. I love this type of novel. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't read her books, please check them out! ~xo~

      Delete
  9. Seems a nice novel to read:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm going over to see if it's on the Nook, if not I'll get a hard copy. This sounds like something I'd love to read. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Mariodacatsmom. I'm going to see if I can get it on the Kindle. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Annie! This sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing your reviews with all of us!

    ReplyDelete