Thursday, April 10, 2014

Cat & Author: T.S. Eliot

"The Naming of Cats"
Written by T.S. Eliot, 
Reading by him in 1947


T.S. Eliot was born in St. Louis, Missouri on September 26, 1888. At the age of 25, he moved to England. At the age of 39, he became a citizen of the United Kingdom. 

T.S. Eliot is widely known for his poetry. He was also a respected playwright. In the early 1940's T.S. Eliot wrote a series of poems for his godchildren. These poems went on to become the classic, "Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

  
In 1948, Eliot was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. He believed that his poetry be "perfect". 

On January 4, 1965, he passed away. As a heavy smoker, he had suffered from severe lung problems which resulted in emphysema. After his death, memorials were erected in London at Westminster Abbey.

Linked to: Cat Thursday 

April is "Poetry Month!"

21 comments:

  1. GOTTA see what Possum's book had to say! MOL xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a great book to read.We sure will look into it.I didn't have any idea that her wrote books about cats. Thanks for the info. Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possum's Book is a favorite! He was an amazing writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, I am not surprised you know this book!

      Delete
  4. Sorry, edit that last to read "writer" not writing -- sometimes i'm too busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always busy. But, you do great things.

      Delete
  5. I need to get this book too! Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that, they had a song about it in the play "Cats", if you haven't seen that play, you should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "Cats" did. Eliot was a serious influence.

      Delete
  7. I had no clue that he was a cat person!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have yet to read "Possum's Book of Practical Cats". Some day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cat author! I enjoyed the naming of cats video, thanks for sharing!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard the song so much it's hard to not go into singing while listening to him. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. T.S Eliot reminds me of Dr Susses.
    I listened to the video version. Great stuff.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that poem. Always have. I didn't know they had a song based on it in "Cats." Sadly, I never got to see the live play. Always wanted to...I do have it on video though.

    I LOVE your new header! So wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete