Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pondering "Rivet"

Each week, Brenda of BYG Adventures has us pondering a word. This week the word is  "rivet". Good grief. It is a bit more difficult to be creative with this word. A rivet is a piece of hardware, such as rivets on jeans. 

Actually, the first thing I thought of is just that: rivets on Levi jeans. Bill wears Levis. He has always worn Levis. When I met Bill 37 years ago I was riveted by him; I still am. Yes, Bill is riveting. 

Books can be riveting. I love to read books that can hold my attention and are hard to put down. Some books are entertaining and others are interesting. The ones that keep you riveted are the memorable ones, though. I am always in search of those. 

I always find animals riveting. Animal behaviour fascinates me. I enjoy learning things about animals, and also from them. Many of the TV shows that I watch involve animals, from Cesar Milan's dog training to "Whale Wars". ("Whale Wars" is technically about human behaviour, which is pretty riveting. But let's save that for another time.) 

One TV show that keeps me riveted is "River Monsters", with Jeremy Wade. He is a British biologist, author and angler who travels the world seeking "monster fish". I have learned about many fascinating fish and the places they inhabit, from Jeremy Wade. He always utilizes local, indigenous people as scouts and guides in his travels. It is all very educational and exciting.

Jeremy Wade catches a Tarpon "Torpedo"

I think that animals, nature, and the world around us is endlessly riveting. I never cease to be amazed by how these components all fit together in this place we call Earth. We share it with them, the animals. Lest we forget, they were here first.


28 comments:

  1. i thought of rosie the riveter right away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen River Monsters although I've seen the previews and it does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I think that animals, nature, and the world around us is endlessly riveting." Me too, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was riveted by your post, as I too am a lover of animals. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Jeremy lets the fish go at the end ... a fish that has been around long enough to get that big deserves to live. I am reading one of those riveting books and you know which one I am talking about ... I enjoyed this post ... love that you are still riveted by Bill. Nice that you noted so many ways to use this riveting word :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love that he makes sure the fish are healthy and safely released. He truly understands them and seeks to dispel myths. Yes. I am really riveted by Bill. *wink*

      Delete
  6. I often watch TV programs featuring animals. I am always amazed that there are an unbelievably wide variety of creatures on earth.
    It is fun to ponder the word 'rivet' with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Romi! I agree, there are so many species of animals. God must really love His critters.

      Delete
  7. I love your riveting post Ann.
    Unfortunately, the video is unavailable to view in Canada. It says "The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry, Julia. It shows Jeremy catching a Tarpon monster fish. Thanks for trying and commenting! Hugs.

      Delete
  8. These are all great examples of riveting things! I have to agree that a handsome man in blue jeans is one riveting thing to behold... and love makes it just that much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a challenging prompt. I had to really ponder it. I do believe that I used the prompt pretty well, though. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Love your header - I keep forgetting to tell you that. Good use of Rivet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment on my header. It is definitely "me". This pondering prompt was a challenge!

      Delete
  10. Oh, I couldn't see the preview - I'll have to check it out on YouTube.
    You know I love the Levi's rivets too ;)
    Love how you connected animals and nature and this great circle of life that is indeed endlessly riveting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no! I'm sorry you couldn't see the video. I don't know what it is with Canadians and the videos! It has happened before. I am sorry for that.
      Thanks for the comment on my use of the prompt. I appreciate that.

      Delete
  11. I am riveted by all of this riveting writing! Lol...forgive me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I find this post riveting!


    Those are good shows! I like animal cops the best!

    : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph, I love animal cops! That is a very riveting show.

      Delete
  13. I love this post! I agree animals and nature are certainly riveting.
    Ever just sat back and watched a storm pass through the sky? Now that's riveting!
    Thanks for Pondering with me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. I do believe that storms are riveting. God shows His power then, and who is really in charge.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for explaining the word:)
    New word for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my writing guides contained a challenge to pick a random word in the dictionary and write about it in conjunction with one's story. Exploring words is a fun idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete