Monday, May 26, 2014

Searching for SSGT James M. Ray

SSGT. James Michael Ray

On Memorial Day I always honour our fallen military heroes, and I always include SSGT James Michael Ray. Some have asked who he is to me, personally. This is his story and why he matters to me.

I was in ROTC. I take our military, patriotism, honour, and my duty to God and country very seriously. I feel devotion to all who serve, presently and in the past. I enjoy freedom because of their military service.

I have two Vietnam POW/MIA bracelets for the same man. I originally got a bracelet for SSGT James M. Ray from a Vietnam veteran’s organization. After many years, I felt the need to search to find out who he was.

The Internet was not an option at the time, so I wrote letters to many veterans’ organizations. When I finally found his family, I corresponded with his stepmother. She sent me a bracelet made by the family. She also told me who he was to his family, and to his loved ones.

James Michael Ray was born November 10, 1949. He lived in Woonsocket, Rhode Island at the time of his voluntary entrance to the United States Army. He joined the Army at age 17, after being told by the Marines that he was too young to join at age 16.

SSGT Ray was captured by the Viet Cong on March 18, 1968 during military intelligence maneuvers. His country of capture is listed as Cambodia, after an ambush included a rocket-propelled grenade that landed near the position of his unit. He was subsequently held in several jungle prison camps. It is believed that at one point he tried to escape, but was re-captured only to be tortured and eventually starved.

Records prove that prisoners were kept in chains most of the time. At night they were locked in underground pits. They were often moved to various prison camps throughout the jungle. Malaria and dysentery were common and deadly illnesses. At capture, Private Ray was believed to be about 165 lbs. At his last sighting, it is believed he was about 95 lbs.

While no concrete date is known for SSGT Ray’s death, it is officially listed as November 30, 1969. When a prisoner became ill or died, he was taken away and no details were given. Vietnamese records released in 1973 list SSGT James Michael Ray as having died in captivity, probably in 1969. He was last seen by a fellow soldier who knew him, and had been held with him at that time.

Nearly forty years passed before the family decided to honour their loved one in a memorial place. They felt it was time to accept the government findings and official reports that he would not be found. Family members and fellow soldiers who served with SSGT James M. Ray gathered around a white stone marker bearing his name in Arlington National Cemetery on September 7, 2007, for a final memorial service. His burial site is Section MK, Site 83, Arlington National Cemetery. He was honoured with a 21 gun salute. An American memorial flag was presented to his family. 

As of 2014, at least 1,642 Americans are still unaccounted for in Vietnam, including SSGT James Michael Ray. We still search for answers and peace, for them as well as their loved ones.

"Gone but not Forgotten."




Originally posted: May 28, 2013
Memorial Day
Photos: Ray Family

18 comments:

  1. A very touching story.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. It needs to be told. Hugs.

      Delete
  2. A very moving tribute to SSG Michael Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is sad. But how wonderful for you to honor his memory.
    (Happy Birthday! Mine was Saturday)

    ReplyDelete
  4. how incredibly sad for families who hold out hope for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad and certainly a story too often told. I has to be awful not knowing where your son is and then to know the horror at the end of his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I honour him and his sacrifice...and those like him.

      Delete
  6. The ones whose bodies never made it back home hurt me the worst. Sweetie's great uncle never came home, he's buried in France. At least the family knows that, it's more than some have, i know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a sad story, but one that we need to be reminded of when we take our freedom for granted. My husband served in Vietnam, but was one of the lucky ones who made it back home. I am grateful to those who have served our country and those still serving today. God bless them all.

    Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a sad thing for the families - to not know about their loved ones who gave so much for all of us. What a wonderful gift of thanks to them that there are people who search for the answers they need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish there was no War & we didn't have to search for missing people.
    Touching story...

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for sharing… what a sad story…

    I share the same birthday as him and I will think of him on it from now on

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three of my four uncles served in the Vietnam conflict. I remember how sad I was when they were sent to war. I was little, but remember it well. War is horrible, ugly thing. I appreciate those willing to fight for our freedom and can never say thank you enough. Lovely remembrance post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching story. Thank you for sharing. My brother was in Vietnam. Though he came home, he was majorly messed up and committed suicide a couple years later. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. So young, a volunteer, the suffering he endured so young. Gone but not forgotten. Thank you for keeping his story and sacrifice present.

    ReplyDelete