Tuesday, September 23, 2014

From The Vicksburg Bridge

The Mississippi River is the primary River in North America, running from Canada through the United States to the Gulf of Mexico. It is the fourth longest and tenth largest river in the world. The Mississippi River is an essential waterway for international shipping. 

The Vicksburg Bridge & The Old Vicksburg Bridge

The new bridge is part of Routes US 80 and I 20, 
connecting Vicksburg, Mississippi to Delta, Louisiana.


The Port of Vicksburg is part of one of the largest 
foreign trade shipping complexes in the world, 



along with the Port of South Louisiana, 
and the Port of Greater Baton Rouge. 




The port complex exports a wide variety of dry 
goods including chemicals, metals, and wood. 



Also a rich agricultural area, wheat, corn, 
soybean, and cotton are actively shipped 




through the Port of Vicksburg and 
its associated shipping complexes. 




This area of the Mississippi Delta ships more 
cargo than any other port in North America.



The Mississippi River Delta Region 
is rich in history and in beauty. 
I took these pictures while trucking
cross-country with Bill. 






Linked to:

18 comments:

  1. I love the bridge and the barge is soooooo loooooong! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice views. long may the trade continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lovely photos, and expert information with each. You sure can see wonderful and exciting things along your travels, side by side! You are very lucky to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one BIG barge! Are you back on the road? I've seen the Mississippi in two places- Marvel and Memphis. Haven't been down to the lower crossing. That is one muddy river!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful images! I have always said how much I would love to see this beautiful river and it's landscape up close. and guess what? A Mississippi River runs right through my town!! It's not the same one obviously, but how funny is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love Old Man River. It's sad to me that most of the pollution dumped into it is from Baton Rouge to the Gulf -- shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Rubbish Tuesday post! Loved the photos! I remember going over that old Vicksburg bridge and being horrified that I'd be meeting a truck coming from the other direction! It was so narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The MIssissippi is amazing. I knew some of these facts, but when I actually saw the size of the river for myself, I was speechless! Thanks for these great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to be trucking across country. The pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the info about that great river.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. So that's the "muddy Mississippi"....nice to see it in person, I'll bet!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very neat! Educational and cool pictures. Have fun on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The final photo shows how lushly things can grow in the humidity of the area. It is so lovely. Thanks for giving us some great photos along with info about the area. XO, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always amazed at how great your shots are. Mine would be blurred. You sure get to have a lot of adventures on the road. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice shots of both the old/new bridges. You take great drive-by shots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures and I know a little more now.

    It always amazes me when I see the tugs working those barges. It just seems impossible and they make it look easy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi McGuffy,
    Those are some massive bridges over the river with the 'crooked letter'.
    Nicely done.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete