Saturday, September 13, 2014

Let's Get Together

                                                                     Source: Pinterest

I believe there is an intangible soundtrack to my life. Sometimes it may be the music that attracts me, but it is the lyrics that attach me. From very early childhood, there have been songs that I associate with people and events. Even today, I will hear a song and can recall things in detail.

I grew up in the 1960s, and had a succession of babysitters. Since most of them were teenagers, music was always being played, either on the radio or perhaps American Bandstand on TV. This combined with national and world events, my connection with music deepened.

Perhaps one of the songs that most affected me was “Get Together”, by The Youngbloods. Previously released as "Let's Get Together" by other bands, it was a staple at folk music festivals. However, it gained popularity on the heels of Woodstock and the Summer of Love, 1967. By 1969 it became a top hit by The Youngbloods. At that time, it was used in a public service announcement for the National Conference of Christians and Jews.

I was ten years old at the time “Get Together” became a hit single.  Not only was I intrigued by the music, but I was even more affected by the lyrics. It spoke to me on a level no other song had before. It became my mission to buy this record. Taking my wagon, I collected pop bottles from around the neighborhood and cashed them in at the grocery store. I immediately purchased the 45 RPM record, went home, and learned the song by heart. (I still have that very record.)

This week, I heard the song while running errands in my car. It affected me just as deeply as it did 45 years ago, actually bringing me to tears. I think that this song is just as important today as it was in 1969. Hearing it, I realized that it applies to current world events, politics, issues, and people, just as it did then. 

The song, “Get Together” expresses what we need to do to resolve the issues that affect us all in the world at large, but in our personal lives, as well. I share it with you here. Peace.


13 comments:

  1. I love the oldies but goodies!!!
    And I too associate songs with times in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that old song now that you reminded me of it. Yes it would be nice to love one another. It's a timeless song and it should be brought back out of storage I think.
    Sending hugs and love your way.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can take you back to my time in Denver, CO just by hearing that song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such powerful lyrics. We really could solve a lot of today's problems by taking them to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent song. I was in high school and college in the sixties when the music was the best. I was lucky enough to live in California and see so many of the great bands at The Filmore in San Francisco and other venues around the state. I do not recall ever having seen the Youngbloods, however. I always say that I would have room in my brain for so much more if it wasn't jam packed with song lyrics. Certain songs always take me back to memorable times and places as well. Thanks for sharing this. I am so happy you have accepted that award. Hope you will join us tomorrow for our Sunday Selfies Blog Hop. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very powerful message. I love the memories of collecting the bottles and saving. Thanks for sharing with us. Brings back memories for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the exact same way, McGuffy. Music and lyrics hold deep meaning and often connect me to events, people, memories - so many things.

    I have always loved this song. It reminds me of my aunts, and especially of the one I lost to a tragic car accident. This is one of those songs that I love to sing to, loud, in the car when it comes on. I have always appreciated the message of the song as well.

    Now it will also remind me of you! :) Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not imagine a life without music (or other arts, really). It is part of my life. I am not 100 % sure I heard this song before, the refrain seems to ring a bell and I always loved 60s music even though it really was before 'my time' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite Youngbloods song too :) Music is a huge part of me and my family's lives too. I just wish people would listen to the messages songs like these try to teach us.
    Marty's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES!!! One of my most very favourite songs!! It is SO important this song.
    "We are but a moments sunlight
    Fading in the grass" -- two of the greatest lines ever written. love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...first time I am listening to this song, McGuffy! B E A U T I F U L lyrics n tune.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember collecting pop bottles to take to the store to sell. It's funny I don't recall having much music on vinyl, but I do remember having it on 8-track tape. I think I did a lot of listening to the radio or going to my girlfriend's house to listen to it on her record player. I do remember this song, though, and have always liked it. Like you, I usually attach songs to people or events. Have a tunetastic week!

    ReplyDelete