Monday, October 13, 2014

Crooked River


By Valerie Geary

Sam and her younger sister, Ollie, have a lot to adjust to since their mother’s death. Sam is trying to deal with her own grief, and Ollie has gone silent since her mother’s death. To make things more confusing, Ollie believes she is seeing spirits or “Shimmerings” as she calls them. 

The girls are sent to live with their father. Bear is reclusive, living in a teepee in the woods at the edge of town. Many question his ways and whether he can raise children in such an unusual way. However, Bear tries to be a good father. Gentle and attentive, he teaches the girls about nature, beekeeping, and simple living. The girls become as protective of him as he is of them. This family love and commitment will be put to a harsh test. 

One hot summer day, the girls find a dead woman’s body in Crooked River near their homestead. With the recent death of their mother too raw, they decide not to tell anyone. Then evidence begins to mount that their father may somehow be involved. 

Sam sets out on a mission to seek justice and prove that Bear is not involved. Searching for the killer, she uncovers secrets that will change everything for her entire family. Her pursuit for the truth will also jeopardize the safety of both herself and Ollie. Everything that Sam thought she could count on comes into question. 

Both Sam and Ollie are easy characters to care about, immediately drawing the reader into their story. The writing is direct and flows nicely, quickly pulling the reader along as Sam solves the mystery of Crooked River. 

I enjoyed Valerie Geary’s debut novel, and will definitely be looking for future stories by her.

12 comments:

  1. I think this sounds good too. You do a wonderful job on book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd like this book -- I enjoy mysteries and coming-of-age stories. Nice review -- it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. guys...yur mom did a grate review heer !! we will hafta tell gram maw food serviss
    gurl bout thiz, her loves a good mystery !! ♥ thanx !

    ReplyDelete
  4. The idea of such homestead living fascinates me, so adding it to a mystery makes me want to look for it at my local library as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this book on my radar since I first heard about it. The story sounds fascinating and I'm glad to know that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a great intrigue mystery novel for young people or for anyone who love mystery.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, this sounds like a good one. It is on my list (my long long list) of books to read someday. Oh, so many books....so little time. I hope if I am reincarnated I don't come back as someone illiterate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to find a new author that you like. I'll add it to my reading list, too! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really sounds like a good one. I'll have to put it on my list for when I have some free time. Purrs, prayers and kisses for Chloe Jo. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been keeping Chloe Jo in our thoughts and are so happy to hear she is now back home, sending big purrs and prayers her way for a quick, complete recovery with ease and for her to start feeling better as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How is your baby Chloe Jo? Kisses and loves for that beautiful precious girl. xoxo

    ReplyDelete