Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Story


Grace loved to write. However, she was a bit of a perfectionist. She tended to write and then ponder each piece. She would often rewrite parts or even entire stories. Revisions took so much time and effort, but she felt it was imperative in making herself a better writer. Each story had to be just right if she were to ever share them.

Sharing her stories was a big step for Grace. It would force her to be more disciplined with her writing process. She sought places to submit her stories, to share them with others. There were creative prompts, but deadlines and time constraints, too. Grace decided to go for it, and join in.

After getting the creative prompt, she wrote a story. Then she rewrote it, and then she revised it. She still agonized over getting it just right. Finally, Grace decided to sleep on it. She knew that she was already late getting her submission in.

In the morning, Grace read her story once more. She then typed it up, checked it a final time, and submitted it before she could change her mind.  Breathing a sigh of relief, she knew that she was finally done. Now it was time for a happy dance!



16 comments:

  1. Hahahaha! This is exactly how a very close friend of mine does it, and I'm just betting that she does do the happy dance when she finally deems it done! ;-)) Thank you for the perfect smile-generator at the end of a very tiring day, Annie. I love your desire to get it just right, I could use a bit more of that patience and determination! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story, Ms. Mac. Might there be a fit her?
    A fellow I used to work with would always tell his "joke" about eating the bad apples first. Trouble was that he never did get to eat a good one.
    ,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes just getting it done is the accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see a bit of myself in this storey.
    I'm not a writer but have written several articles for local publications that were well received. I used to picture myself as a writer years ago but I never went for the dream as I got married and raised a family and so on... I wrote about a profound spiritual experience, and some inspired canticle and some other thoughts that oozed out of my pen on a retreat and some articles are still in my journal.

    Have a great rest of the week.
    Hugs,
    JB



    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfectionist writers take more time to submit :)
    Seems like your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. N we hope Grace getz her storee published.....N if her does... we can teech her de trout towne shuffle ~~~~~ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. For sure, that is a reality for writers...never sure we are really done with the story , and usually there will be little things that show up no matter how much editing is done to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only I took that much time when I wrote!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story. Oh, that I was as brave as Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am Grace.
    I have lived this agony before --- well, it's anxiety filled, but also wonderful when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gweat little posty.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat story, and I'll be it's true of most writers at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You just described me writing a post. Sometimes the number of revisions I make is ridiculous, and I am way too tired by then to dance! Sorry I haven't been around much. Trying hard to catch up after being gone for several days. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never work well with deadlines. I am the sort of person who likes to revise and review at leisure, but the final happy dance I can definitely relate to.

    Priya @ Conversations

    ReplyDelete
  15. McGuffy,
    I love that coffee mug. Really cool Scrabble mug!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reminds me of doing book reviews.
    Revise, revise,revise. Then score!
    Happy dance, happy dance, happy dance!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete