Sunday, January 18, 2015

What Dogs Have Taught Me

I have learned valuable lessons from people, but the things that I have learned from animals have left deep impressions within me. I have often said that animals are genuine. I believe this. They have no ulterior motives. They are honest in their emotion and their actions. Animals do not lie.

Several years ago, before the Internet, blogging, and social media, I had several pieces of my writing published in literary magazines. Along with many poems, I had a series of dog essays published. I have not shared them since then, but after much encouragement, I plan to do so now.

I am widely known as a “cat person”, but the truth is that I need dogs, too. In the future, I will share my cat stories. There are many. But, while cats address one side of me, dogs address the other. It is yin and yang; balance. Without both, I feel a sense of loss.

Each dog that has come into my life has taught me something. Just as each dog has been unique, their lessons have been, too. Admittedly, I have been a good student. I have paid attention. I wanted the bond that they offered. I sought their simple wisdom. 

I will share each dog in the order that they entered my life. In addition, I will share their stories over time. I want each to stand on their own, as they do in my heart. 


22 comments:

  1. That will be lovely and I look forward to reading about them! You go, girl! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a dog in my life but love them very much. Looking forward to hearing your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading about all your past dogs and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading about the loves in your life...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dogs that lived here before they moved to the Bridge were very wise and good teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes me remember my heart dog, Jack. He had auburn hair just like mine. He was reared from a just weaned puppy. WE grew up together till I got married. Daddy kept him after asking e if it was alright.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that...cats and dogs are yin and yang.

    Look forward to your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie, I'm looking forward to reading your dog and cat stories.
    I've had several cats and dogs in my life, each one were unwanted pets but they brought so much joy in our lives until the time for parting. I can never get used to that part.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dogs teach us so much. We always try to have two...

    Sorry you didn't make the link at dVerse for the tenWord prompt. Maybe when you first see the prompt you could click on the "Mr. Linky" and he will tell you how many hours are left to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be a wonderful series! I can't wait to read them all! Thanks for sharing. I love reading what you write and this will be another wonderful set of posts to read---I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi McGuffy,
    I eagerly look forward to these posts about your dogs (and cats).
    Something tells me these are going to be really great posts!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, can't wait to read the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to it. Dogs are special, even if i know i'm not the right person to have one, i do know that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that I have a cat, I don't feel like I can say "I am a dog person" anymore. honestly, I just love all animals. Perhaps I tend to go craziest over cute doggies, but I don't care if you brought a lizard before me: I'm gonna oooohhh and aaaahhh like other girls over precious jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds very innewestin'. We look furward to hearin' 'bout it.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this is exciting. We are looking forward to reading your dog stories, McGuffy Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i believe you. they are precious creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think that will be interesting to hear about. We've had many dogs and cats (and horses and cows) bless us with short stays in our lives. They all touch us in so many ways. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is cool...my first true friend in this world was a hound....he used to let me ride on his back as a child...and snuggle...after he passed my parents had a stuffed animal made that looked like him...and i used to sleep with it.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is awful! I pray you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete