Tuesday, February 17, 2015

First Frost


By Sarah Addison Allen

In this long awaited sequel to “Garden Spells”, we are taken back to the town of Bascom, North Carolina. Ten years have passed, but some things remain the same. The Waverly women still live and love there. Now they wait for the “first frost” of the season to set the world back in balance for them.

For generations, each Waverly woman has possessed a special gift or talent. Sisters Claire and Sydney have successful businesses in town. Claire runs an organic bakery, while Sydney owns a hair salon. The area locals have come to rely on their unique talents.

Now, the next generation of Waverly women is dealing with history and tradition. Sydney’s daughter is a teenager exploring feelings, including first love. Claire’s young daughter is just learning about the Waverly colourful history.

Some things in Bascom, N.C. have changed, however. A mysterious older man has come to town. He seems to be stalking the Waverly sisters. He has both secrets to share and a mission to accomplish. 

Sarah Addison Allen never disappoints. Her special talent is in telling magical tales. Each of Sarah's novels is a  welcome treat, sweet and special. If you have not read “Garden Spells”, now it the perfect time to do so. Then do not miss “First Frost” to complete this delightful story. 

20 comments:

  1. A great review Annie. I'll be looking at the library for this one. I'm intrigued by that stranger who has come into town.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, I think you would enjoy Sarah's books. They are sweet and fun, with a bit of adventure, mystery, love, and magic.

      Delete
  2. huh, this sounds like a book series that my wife would def enjoy...
    we lived in NC for seven years as well....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Sarah is a wonderful NC author. I highly recommend all of her books.

      Delete
  3. Ann, I am so excited to see you reviewing books.
    I know you have wanted to do this for a while.
    Looks like your computer problems are over, and you're an awesome reviewer!

    Thanks for the visit! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. I used to review books very often. I cut back on it due to health and personal reasons. I am currently behind again, but should catch up soon. I will keep reviewing, but have other things I like to share, too. Hug.

      Delete
    2. Check out my "Book Reviews" page. I hope to be visiting you more, now that I am getting caught up...little by little! Hug.

      Delete
  4. Love your thoughts...I have to read this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this story with its touch of magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does magic well. It is so subtle and natural.

      Delete
  6. Sounds good, and I love the cover- it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I love Sarah's writing. It is always a delight.

      Delete
  8. I just ordered two books... I think I would enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend all of her books, including this latest one!

      Delete