Friday, February 13, 2015

Good Luck


I don't consider myself superstitious. I don't avoid walking under ladders, nor am I afraid of handling mirrors lest they break, and I certainly do not worry about black cats crossing my path! In fact, if I don't have a black cat cross my path every few minutes, I worry! That usually means they are up to something...well, Chloe Jo usually is.

Black cats are often misunderstood. (Chloe Jo will tell you this is true, at least of herself.) In some cultures, including America and most of Europe, black cats are considered harbingers of "bad luck". Frequently they are associated with the occult, witches and black magic. They have become symbols of both Halloween and Friday the 13th.

However, in many countries & cultures it is believed that black cats bring blessings and good luck. In Scotland, black cats are believed to bring prosperity into a home. In Japan, black cats are believed to attract many suitors to its lady owner. In Germany, if a black cat crosses your path from left to right, it is offering good things...but from right to left it is a bad omen.

In England and Australia, it is said that black cats are able to ward off negative forces with their "protective color". Young brides were often given a black cat as a gift of good luck and prosperity.

It is said that early pirates felt if a black cat walked towards you it was very bad luck. But if a black cat walked away from you that was very good luck. They also felt that if a black cat walked onto a ship and then left it abruptly, the ship was doomed to sink. 

Early sailors often chose black cats to keep on ships, considering them an asset to attract good fortune. They believed that black cats were essential in keeping them safe and secure on their journeys. Many wives of fisherman also kept black cats at home for these same reasons, believing they would help keep their husband safe at sea.

We happily keep two black cats in our home. I don't know if they keep us safe or secure, but they do keep us entertained. We love them both and believe that we are doubly blessed!

Grizelda

Chloe Jo


...or two!

23 comments:

  1. Both are beautiful cats, for sure. Their coats are so sleek. Chloe Jo is a really cute name, but Grizelda does sound a bit mysterious, you have to admit. Have a happy day this Friday the 13th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitties are so cute and not the least bit spooky or scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope not me...not superstitious at all but black cats are COOL!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, great snaps of them, they are such pretty cats. I am kind of a superstitious person at times, and I always do have those thoughts reminding me as I've walked under ladders, and silly me I will avoid them. 7 years bad luck is another one, and I swear it's come true before for me! But I also believe in all the good luck charms too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like black cats and black dogs, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had black cats, and always love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. black kittehs rock guys...all ways haz...all wayz will...we noe it & they noe it & grizelda & chloe joe...we noe...ewe noe it !!!

    happee heartz day oh love two everee one N heerz two a topminnow & trumpetfish kinda week oh end ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. pee...ezz we hope dad rememburrs ta get mom a red... 2015... Lamborghini for valentines day !!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. great advice, I love that I saw two bloggers mention how wonderful black cats are today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have several black cats who constantly crosses my path every day at the barn and I had a black cat at home for years until she grew old and left us. Black cats are beautiful animals and I don't pay attention to those old superstitions.
    However I sill say Knock on wood. Funny heh!...
    Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom was always superstitious, and she died on Friday the 13th! I am not superstitious and am in love with all cats, but especially blacks ones. It was a great post. Sure hope you are feeling and getting better, Annie. Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day. Hugs, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  12. I avoid walking under ladders, but only because with my luck I'd get clobbered by a bucket of paint or a hammer or something falling on my head!
    I have a black cat (and a gray cat) sleeping on my bed right now!

    I'm going to be lazy and cut and paste the reply I gave you at Encyclopedia Netherworld. Thanks so much for continuing to visit our weird selves there!

    Thank you, McGuffy Ann, for continuing to support us. It really means a lot, especially to our founding mother, Cie Cheesemeister. The hits just keep coming for her, as her son's best friend was recently diagnosed with bone cancer.
    I think it takes a special kind of person to be supportive and understanding of people who don't fit in. You are that kind of person!

    Blessings,
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!! I am extremely superstitious- except for Friday the 13th and black cats. I am the proud owner of 4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i have a black n white cat...
    wonder if he is half bad luck? ha.
    i am not a big believer in bad luck
    though there are things in lif that seem to take
    a little good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know in the adoption world of dogs they have what they call the black dog syndrome. Black dogs are difficult to adopt.

    I've had black cats and thought nothing of it.

    Dad said his grandmother would turn the buggy around if a black cat ran in front of her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect for chasing away any unlucky thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have two beautiful black kitties. My mom thinks she's lucky to have me, not because I'm black, but because she thinks I'm an amazing kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. two beautiful black cats!!! <3
    I was born on the 13th so I have never considered it to be a day of bad luck! And I even had a black cat, named Peanut, when I was little. So I say they bring not only happiness, but good things in life too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We think black cats are good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your black cats. I've never had a completely black cat but I think they are really beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete