Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me"

Please join me as I visit Les for a “Coffee Chat”, over at the Time Out for Mom blog. Les hosts a wonderful weekly discussion of interesting topics. This is one of my favourite places to hang out. This week Les has asked, “Who are you when no one is watching?”

When I read this, I immediately thought of what my Grampy taught me when I was very small. Grampy was a very devout Southern Baptist. He took me to church, read the Bible to me, and taught me lasting morals and values. His faith in God was strong, and he was steadfast in his beliefs. I have never doubted his or God’s love.

Grampy always told me “You are never alone. No matter what: God always sees you.” This made a profound impression on me as a young girl that has lasted all of my life. I may do something I shouldn’t and think I got away with it, if no one else saw me do it. But, sooner or later it always comes out because God sees everything. And God is just.

This was proven to me when I was four years old. I was told not to take any of the beautiful hard Christmas candy from the fancy bowl, because I always managed to choke on it. This was for my own good, I was told. Of course, this made the candy more desirable because it was now beautiful and forbidden. I took some, hid in the bedroom, stuffed the candy into my mouth, and while thoroughly enjoying my success…I began to choke.

Oh no…see?! Grampy was right! Gasping, I immediately ran to him, sure I was dying! Of course, he saved me. Then, hugging me, he turned me to face him and said, “You took the candy after being told not to, didn’t you? Crime didn’t pay, did it?” Apologizing, I admitted that, “No, crime didn’t pay.” I was sure that God knew what I had done and had told Grampy. God and Grampy were obviously in cahoots.

I still do things that I shouldn’t, or perhaps are not in my best interest. Just like everyone else, I am very human and have made many mistakes throughout my life. I deal with them, learn from them, ask forgiveness where appropriate, and move on. That is all we can do, as humans. However, at the back of my mind is always the knowledge that I am never totally alone in anything I do. God is watching…and so is Grampy.

So, to answer the question posed this week: when alone, I am the same person that I am when I am with other people. I don’t have any weird habits or quirky behaviors that I feel the need to hide. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) I am pretty much just “me” 24/7. 

Oh, don’t misunderstand me. I am a known “Dork”. Not being ashamed or embarrassed by that, I just don’t feel it necessary to “dork out” in private. Maybe this is because I know that Somebody is always watching anyway. 





Linked to: 

15 comments:

  1. True- I'm about as dorky as one can be, and I don't hide my weirdness. LOL! God already knows everything I'm going to do before I do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - Dorks unite!!!! LOL
    I love it -- and I too agree that we are never really alone. That's a comfort to me; not something weird or scary. I broke a vase once and hid the broken pieces under the couch -- didn't get away with it from my Grandpa either. They must have a direct line to God or something, haha
    I knew you would be a genuine - I always naturally drawn to people like that :)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your post very much. Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorks/Nerds all rule. We are all not that much different.
    Dork on, McGuffy!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with being yourself. In fact, it's a trait we greatly admire. Thanks for being YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great story I can relate to. Lessons learned at a young age stays with us and they form our conscience. we were told that God saw everything, even in the darkness and that we could never hide from God no matter where we hid or what wed did but God always forgave our sins if we were sorry for doing wrong.

    I believe in being myself. I always say, What you see is what you get...
    Hugs
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  7. If we were all the same, we would be boring! ;) I think I'm a dork too...LOL And you're right - we are never alone with God in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just when you think no one is looking.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha. well that feels a bit freaky on one level,
    but on the other hand, it is comforting to know that we are never really alone
    in this life...even when it feels like it....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annie; I cracked up over your remark about God & your grampy being in cahoots !!

    and I bet neither one of them think your a dork......

    I can't honestly say stella, chloe, griz & maggie think the same thing....but !!!!

    ♥♥♥♥ laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grandpa sounds like he was a wise and compassionate man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice post, your grandpa sounds nice, you were blessed to have him teach you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many lesson I learned that way! I am a bit of a dork and an introvert and I am good with that... :) I agree, I think your Grandpa was a very wise and KIND man!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post!

    I remember when I was in grade school and stole a comic book from a convenient store. I was so afraid my mom would find out. Not that my family could not afford to buy it, we could. I knew I had gone against my mother's morals and that bothered me, a lot. We do tend to hang on to the morals we are taught.

    ReplyDelete